Jambands.ca

Flyers trade for Hartnell and Timonen

Booche

Guest Low Roller

Interesting trade... A first round pick for the right to negotiate for 72 hours? That's new isn't it?

I'm surprised that the Preds didn't hold out to get the Flyers 2nd overall pick rather than get their Forsberg one back.

And why couldn't the Flyers wait until July 1st to try and sign them?

They could have but this gives them a jump on other GM's that are interested. Not only that but if you make a move like this you are definitely going to make an offer the FA cant refuse so there will always be some over-payment. Who knows though? I was hoping Gainey was planning to take a run at Hartnell on Canada Day but had he offered that package I would have been somewhat suspect. That is a ballsy move by Philly and get ready to watch Souray sign for a shitload somewhere other that MTL. I am going to miss his shot from the point but not miss his cap hit.

Guest Low Roller

Souray is gone. He's probably insulted by Gainey's $4.5M now. Of course I'm sure Gainey just low-balled him to start off the negotiations.

The Flyers are looking better and better. They should no longer be the whipping boys of the league next year. That honour will return to the Blues.

thanks Paul Holmgren! is he really worth 6.2 million a year until he is 38?

C'mon Jakis, you should at least look up some stats or something before just copying what some Leaf blogger is writing to make himself feel better about the McCabe and Kubina signings.

Let's review. Timonen scored 55 points last year, was a +20 and was the captain of a 110 point team. Offense + Defense + Leadership. He was going to fetch close to $7M/year as a UFA, the Flyers overpaid in length of the contract to make sure he never hit the open market.

Hartnell isn't worth $4.2M today, but at 25 he was set to be the youngest UFA in NHL history. I'm willing to bet that $4.2M looks like a great signing when he's 28-29 years old, assuming he stays on his current development path.