Jambands.ca

RC: Manu Chao @ Kool Haus tonight

YearsAlongTheSea

Got me a lucky spot on the guest list, so I'm aiming to go see Manu Chao tonight. Haven't seen him/them or heard much of his/their music before. But from what I have heard, I'm very excited.....

chao.jpg

Who's in for a multi-lingual, multi-genre, ska-infused throwdown?

what?

lucky bastard

I'd be in if I were guestlisted, but I obviously don't know the peeps you know!

pfffffft

I would gladly pay 50 bucks to go and see this show. I just can't get a ticket!!!!
Manu Chao Tickets for Sale Tonight at Kool Haus!! - $1

Reply to: sale-357257047@craigslist.org

Date: 2007-06-21, 4:31PM EDT

Selling a couple extra tickets for Manu Chao.

Call me at 647-261-9379 if interested. This show is big!

It was stellar. A LOT of energy pouring off the stage. The Kool Haus was packed to the gills but there were definitely enough pockets to boogie. I like his sound but I have to say it comes off a little more straight-up delivered live. Amazing performer though and really great, heavy, soulfully driven ska... :)

Good times...

June 21, 2007

Kool Haus

Toronto, ON

by Steve McLean

There was no opening act for Manu Chao's show on Thursday, but during the 30-minute upbeat mix of reggae and Latin music that was played over the Kool Haus speakers before the band hit the stage at 9:30 p.m., it was obvious that the folks who snapped up every $35 ticket available for the band's all-too-rare Toronto appearance were in no need of pumping up. Chao is a mega-selling star in Europe and Latin America and focuses most of his performance time there, so anticipation for this gig was palpable.

When singer/guitarist Chao and his Radio Bemba Sound System band (comprised of a guitarist, bassist, keyboardist, drummer and percussionist) arrived, three of them were already shirtless, no doubt knowing what a hot and sweaty show they were in for. Everyone on stage was jumping during the opening number, and periodic leaping broke out throughout the night both on stage and in the crowd. While the sextet urged fans to sing, dance, clap and thrust their fists in the air, they needed no prompting. This was no average placid Toronto rock show audience, and you can probably chalk up its exuberance to the large European and Latin contingent in the house as well as the high-energy music.

Chao (real name Oscar Tramor) formed Mano Negra in Paris in 1986, naming the band after a Spanish anarchist group, and became a catalyst for the then nascent Latin alternative music scene by playing a groundbreaking fusion of rock, punk, rap, flamenco and rai. After that group disbanded, Chao formed Radio Bemba Sound System. He released Clandestino under his own name in 1998 and followed it with Proxima Estacion: Esperanza in 2001. By this time, more Caribbean influences had found their way into the music and, if you're not lucky enough to catch Chao and company in the flesh, you should pick up the 2002 self-titled live album or the Babylonia En Guagua DVD from that same year to get the full experience.

While the horns that augmented the sound of those recordings were unfortunately missing at the Kool Haus, the six musicians did their best to make people forget it with their breakneck performances. It wasn't about precision, but mood, vibe and energy — all of which permeated the cavernous hall even more than the pot smoke I thought would cloud my eyes.

This was definitely a rock show, but with alternating reggae, ska and salsa rhythms and some rap to keep things hopping. Even songs that started slowly didn't stay that way for long. Numbers often blended into each other — as would lyrics sung in Spanish, French, English and maybe other languages — but highlights included "La Primavera," "Me Gustas Tu," "Bienvenida A Tijuana," "The Monkey" and "Clandestino."

It was evident that Chao, five days shy of his 46th birthday, was having fun. The frontman thanked the crowd for its energy and vowed to return to Toronto soon. But Chao would have to leave in order to return, and his ardent followers had no intention of letting him slip away.

After a 95-minute set, the vociferous demand for an encore was met in short order and the band extended and amplified "Bongo Bong." Each group member left individually before quickly returning for another drawn-out tune. All six guys then linked arms for a Broadway-style bow and walked off, but the crowd demanded them back. This time, Chao and the percussionist traded places for a song before switching back for the final jam of the night.

After 130 minutes, Radio Bemba Sound System and most of their fans were exhausted. But some of the new material performed during the set will appear on La Radiolina, which is scheduled for a September release, giving people time to rest up before absorbing it. Anyone with an appreciation of world music who hasn't yet discovered Manu Chao owe it to themselves to do so.