Jambands.ca

Zoophorus was......OK

weezy

Original lineup was De La Soul, Garaj Mahal, The New Deal, Karl Denson's Tiny Universe and Global Funk Council - sounds pretty fuckin good no?

...then tND cancelled

...then they were advertising the Pharsyde as the replacement

...then Dr. Didj was announced as the official replacement (meh...) - along with some local hip hop acts (Curtis Santiago, Sweatshop Union etc...)

...then Karl Denson lost his I.D. before he got to the border and wasn't let in the country. No Karl Denson for Zoophorus.

There were many highlights nonetheless. Including the mega jam with Garaj Mahal, Sweatshop Union and Global Funk Council in the afternoon, as well as the latenight Garaj action - not to mention the stellar De La Soul set featuring Fife from A Tribe Called Quest. But we just had GM here for a 2 night run a few months ago and now we had another 3 sets + due to the KDTU cancellation - a bit of an overdose.

We all managed to have tons of fun of course, but I left somewhat unfulfilled. The lineup was a disappointment after all the cancellations. If I had known KDTU wouldn't be there, then I wouldn't have gone. This was beyond anyones control of course (except Karl D's) so what can you do...?

...everything was really expensive as well (it was Whistler after all...) beer $4.50/pint - pizza slices $3.50 - camping $30/ 2 people.

It was far from being a fiasco - but it didn't live-up to our expectations............obviously.

I give it a 7 out of 10

Making the pilgrammage from Golden to Whistler for the show was a feat in itself...a little mix up in dates for the Radiohead show made us give it up for Zoophorous...but it was well worth it. The cancellation on Karl D was a MAJOR disapointment....but there's not to much we could do about it....I enjoyed Garaj and the super jam that they had to fill the KD timeslot...De La Soul kicked my ass! Maybe the best hiphop sjow I've seen...then late night Global Funk Councel (anyone who hasn't seen these guys check'em out!!! wicked ABB 'Silver Dollar' cover)and Garaj to groove late into the night.....expecting a little more people...but it was really nice that it was small...thanks to Upstream Entertainment...can't wait for next year! [big Grin][Razz][big Grin][big Grin]

I'd like to know wtf happened with the New Deal pulling out less than a month before the gig.

I understand Karl D's error, and I really hope he understands just how many people went to see him specifically and how much of a blow it was to the day.

But to get back to Weezy's post, the original lineup that signed on the dotted line (announced in JUNE) was what made me go. Great combination and diversity of bands I'd seldom or never seen, New Deal being one. I understand escape clauses exist for unforseen circumstances, but I've never seen any explanation from the band (or others) on why. Obviously Upstream wouldn't have plastered posters and ads all over the place if they weren't sure the band was signed.

Less than a month!

There were repeated posts on Upstream's site querying the lineup, which wasn't finalized until just 2 weeks before the show!

I've asked around out here, but no clues.

Any folks in the East have an idea what the DEAL is?

Archived