Jambands.ca

CD prices cut at all HMV stores

bradm

http://www.cbc.ca/arts/story/2007/08/28/cds-prices.html

CDs are about to become a lot cheaper with an announcement by music retailer HMV that it is cutting prices.

On back catalogues from popular artists like The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Bob Marley, Metallica and U2, the cuts could be high as $10 per CD.

Effective immediately, prices will drop an average of 20 per cent, with some titles reduced as much as 33 per cent, HMV reported in a press release.

Aloha,

Brad

Wow ... about 15 years after they should have!

I remember BITUSA and DSOTM selling for $25 back in 1984 on CD. New LP on sale back then would get you the same release for $7.99 downtown.

Tell me why it costs $1 a tune to get a song when they don't have to pay for any manufacturing, distributing, etc. costs and there's no bloody artwork to go along with it?

I really have no sympathy for the big record industry. Time for an musical renaissance ... filter out the shit that's been marketed by the industry and let the talent and exceptional artists flourish and make a bit of cash :)

Good idea, but too little too late.

Why am I still paying for a retailer to stock and ship a physical product?

Why can't I go in and load my portable music device or get them to burn me a cd and print out the artwork on demand?! That would cut the cost of CDs dramatically.

That is the type of thing they should have been doing long ago...

Edited by Guest

Why can't I go in and load my portable music device or get them to burn me a cd and print out the artwork on demand?!

What portable device are you using? In the other thread it sounded like you hadn't found anything suitable.

Why can't I go in and load my portable music device or get them to burn me a cd and print out the artwork on demand?!

What portable device are you using? In the other thread it sounded like you hadn't found anything suitable.

I am of course speaking hypothetically. But the point remains that if music retailers were forward thinking they would have done this long ago.

When I have the bread I will buy a Cowon media player...

[color:purple]AD' date=' do you work for Apple? hahaha[/color']

When I heard this news the other day I really found it hard to believe that CD prices will really go down at HMV.

I mean a lot of the regularly priced CDs at HMV are 26.99 and up. I've never bought one at that price and probably wouldn't even if it was reduced by 20%.

The only time I buy CDs now is usually the week of release when you can get them for $12.99.