Jambands.ca

Saw Five Alarm Funk last night

Hartamophone

I felt like I was taking crazy pills. The people around me were lapping it up like honey, but all I could see was a stage full of self-indulgent (though not untalented) musicians taking turns wanking, while a drummer in sunglasses at the front of the stage made faces. I'm normally pretty easily entertained when it comes to live music, but I couldn't take song after song that seemingly went nowhere (soloing vehicles only). All I could keep thinking was "Normally when I hear a band like this, it comes with a chicken or fish dinner and a dance with the bride."

I know I was in the minority, though, so I might have to give them another shot.

I also agree with DJ Melba. I kind of look at it as funk-light. Funk for the masses, if you will.

If they got a little edgier, or a little jammier, or both, I think you and I would dig it more, but they would lose most of their audience.

Basically, I will never love them, but I always enjoy seeing them, and just consider them a good intro band to funky tunes; very accessible, but still good. (A bit gimmicky though; for sure, but I actually kind of like that, too, in this case.)

I feel as though "accessible" in this case is a kind way of saying "predictable", but I agree pretty much completely with what you said. I had high expectations for this band, and they definitely fell short, but they weren't terrible. I think what frustrated me so much was that it was clear that I was looking at a group of hugely talented musicians, who seemed to be underachieving (musically) as a band, IMHO.

The most confusing part for me was seeing how the people all around me were completely freaking out. That's not a negative thing, as it's always great to see people getting so into live tunes, it's just that it was really strange to feel like the only dude in the place who hadn't taken the right pill.