Jambands.ca

Dead car - what to do?

AD

Scot - Thanks for the recommendation. it's a 92 Infiniti G20. a few electrical problems, dead alternator, needs new exhaust system. other than that it (will) run fine.

Allison - the value of the car, dead or alive, is waaaaaaaaaay more than $60, but thanks for the tip. might be good info for someone who checks this thread with more of a beater to get rid of.

If you decide to get a new car at a dealership, get your deal done with a written price. Then ask about what they'll knock off the price if you have a trade-in. Tell 'em it's a 92 Infiniti G20 and they'll adjust your deal. When it comes time to hand it over to them, just have a tow truck drop it off. They won't have asked if it works, so it's their prob now .

Good luck.

$1700!!!!! that's ridiculous!!!! Shoulda been a mechanic.

Heads up....Couple of things I checked...

Alternator $250 (Can probably get rebuilt for 1/2)

Cat Converter (main exhaust) $116

Muffler $140

those are the prices i got from various mechanics for her as well - labour prices and belts take the alternator cost to $650 (so they say). labour takes the exhaust to $1000 or so (so they say).

where did you find those prices online? would still be interested in getting the car running, but definitely not for $1700. your talk of a rebuilt alternator is encouraging...

http://www.autopartsway.ca

I just used that as a guide...There is a member of this board who can also get a discount right here in Ottawa, so I assume the prices would be comparable.

You could easily do some of the work yourself. Alternators on most cars are easy to switch out. Exhaust work is a bit tricky, depending on the complexity of the system, and the fact that you have to get under the car to do it, the hardest part is actually removing the old one. If there are just a few holes in the system, they are easily patched, (I had a frugal shop teacher) especially on an older car if you want to actually get a few more months out of it.