Jambands.ca

Mohawk College's Advertising Program

NewRider

Does anyone know anyone who has taken this three year program? I've been toying with the idea of taking this for about four years now. The idea of going back to school full time scares the shit outta me because I sucked in high school. I'm wondering if going to any college for advertising is a worthwhile endevour or if it's a waste of time and money.

You might want to first check out advertising agencies (in Toronto, say) to see what their job listings have as far as requirements. I'll bet most of them stress experience more than education; if you can figure out how to get the experience, you'll have a much better shot, I think. (Does the Mohawk program include work experience [e.g., co-op jobs]?)

Aloha,

Brad

welll Aaron.. I will tell U that going back to school takes some getting used to. BUT once you're there U will just get in the groove and rock it! I am getting better marks than I ever did in uni/high school.

I really don't think school is a waste of time at all. I know after I'm done at Mohawk I am going to get a job that I really want to do. It is expensive yes... but not a waste! If it is something you want to do then go for it!! At least apply and then if U change your mind U can always do that!!!!

What she said ^^

I just went back to school for Public Relations (at Conestoga) this year and I'm a little older than you (maybe a lot). I'm still kinda getting used to it, but so far have been loving it (it helps that PR is female dominated...I'm one of only 4 guys in my program). Grades are pretty good (middle of mid-terms right now), mostly because I want to do well and like all of my classes. There are lots of opportunity's for advertising executive's...but do what Brad said and research your field to make sure there is entry level stuff you think you could stomach for a few years until you get your big break!

NewRider, is advertising what really interests you? It's not that I doubt that it does, it's more that you haven't given any indications as to what kinds of things (i.e., fields of study) you're really into.

I ask because it might be that there are other (possibly more academic) fields, like media studies, popular culture, marketing, graphic design, etc., that would be a really good match for you in terms of enjoyment of learning and study, but which could also be useful (especially when backed up with part-time or summer/internship jobs) in getting a job in advertising.

Aloha,

Brad