Jambands.ca

why do smaller bands sell cds?

As somebody who had 500 CDs pressed and packaged while part of a smaller band' date=' I can attest that the 375 or so unsold CDs make great coasters long after your band has fizzled out. So everybody wins! [/quote']

It's the fact that MP3's are a lossy format. The minute you encode to MP3 you are degrading the sound quality.

Other than that they are convenient.

FLAC all the way.

..and even though it is 2007 not everyone has nor wants a computer for their home or music listening. I know more than a few people like this.

Awesome. People quote me even when what they have to say has nothing to do with what I said! :P

Milton District High School football RULES!!!!

when / if your digital media player craps out, you go to your backup to restore things. when you lose a cd, it's gone. unless of course you make a digital back up of whatever quality floats your boat.

there are benefits to both digital and hard-copy

I have well over 1000 cd's and have never lost a single disc. Some of us know how to take care of our things and not lose them.

Are you disputing physical objects can get misplaced?

While I'm here...

I've found that the shelf life of a burned cd is generally several years and sometimes as little as 6 months before you start to encounter problems.

It's true that poor quality burned cds deteriorate quickly, but if you take care of them they will last longer, certainly longer than 6 months. I have burned CDs that are 8 years old and still work fine. It's all anecdotal though (in this thread, I mean).

The shelf life of a commercially burned cd is longer then I'll be alive

Speak to any archivist and they'll quickly debunk this myth. (Unless you have knowledge about your impending end, I sure hope not though, that's freaky).

I like both mediums, digital and CD / Vinyl etc. Digital is easier for me, but I still buy and listen to CDs.

It's true that poor quality burned cds deteriorate quickly, but if you take care of them they will last longer, certainly longer than 6 months. I have burned CDs that are 8 years old and still work fine. It's all anecdotal though (in this thread, I mean).

I have burned discs that are 10 years old and still work but I have had some start to go bad in as little as 6 months. I use only Plextors to burn discs and NEVER EVER at their max speeds and I NEVER have any other applications running when burning.

I also use only the best possible discs money can buy, at first those were Kodaks, then Japanese Fuji's and now regular Ty's.

All my discs are very well taken care of, only handled by the edges, always keep in sleeves or cases and not left sitting around. I do not travel with them so they never sit in a hot/cold car (that's what the cheap discs are for).

I think that as a small (touring) band pressing Cd`s is still a good investment.

1000 disc will cost around $1000-2000 depending on packaging. So even if you sell the CD`s for $10 you`ve made a good return on your investment.

I think the download card is a good idea because as a band you should try to maximize all of your income potential.

I too don`t like MP3`s and would actually like bands to release higher then CD quality music.

Listening to 96K mixes is the shit.