Jambands.ca

Purple Hill CD Release Party this Saturday in T.O.!

Jaimoe

[blurb] PURPLE HILL CD RELEASE PARTY: i was born to flesh

26/01/2008

Where: The Trazac (backroom), Brunswick Avenue just south of Bloor, Toronto, Ontario

Cost: $10

Along with the night's featured band and the official release of i was born to flesh, the supporting acts on the bill are pretty kick-ass in their own right, making for a fantastic night of music: Timber Timbre, Bruce Peninsula, Love Anna, and Krista Hartman. It will be an early show due to the noise curfew. The show will start shortly after seven and finish up around midnight![/blurb]

Jaimoe here. I'm really looking forward to PURPLE HILL's CD release party for their second album, i was born to flesh, at The Tranzac in Toronto this Saturday, January 26th. Originally, Purple Hill was a cosmic-country and freaky-folk solo side-project for From Fiction's spastic bassist Owen Marchildon, however it's now his primary focus - not including Marchildon's other recent side-project Rough Skeletons (read my CD review ). Because of the unfortunate and untimely demise of his former indie hard rock band a few years back, Purple Hill has become a full-blown band effort with Marchildon still the leader/singer and principle songwriter, fleshed out by a more permanent band featuring veterans of the Toronto indie folk and alt-country scenes including fellow Rough Skeletons guitarist/sound effects/space cadet Paul Shepherd on keyboard, John Paul Allen on bass, Jordan Bruce on drums, Scott Maynard on guitar, piano and vocals, violinist Fiona Stewart, Kaili Glennon on vocals and Paul Mortimer on lap-steel guitar.

i was born to flesh expands upon old-school country, Gram Parsons-era Byrds and psychedelic rock themes heard on their low-fi self-titled 2005 release (read my review here), adding some heavy Velvet Underground tweaks, lonesome folk, alt country rock and unpredictable instrumental journeys. I love this freaking band!! I'll be there early and I hope some of you can make it. Marchildon and Purple Hill are on the cusp of something great and this album will sure make some ripples in the thriving indie alt-rock and roots communities in Canada.

January 23/08

purplehilllarge.jpg

There are two separate areas. I believe the backroom is located straight ahead when you walk in. The other room is off to the right when you walk in. I've only been there once, so if I'm wrong someone correct me. Hey Kev, I hope I run into you. I'll be there fairly early for the Purple Hill "party" and look for a guy with dirty blonde hair and a short full beard.

Edited by Guest

There are two separate areas. I believe the backroom is located straight ahead when you walk in. The other room is off to the right when you walk in. I've only been there once, so if I'm wrong someone correct me. Hey Kev, I hope I run into you. I'll be there fairly early for the Purple Hill "party" and look for a guy with dirty blonde hair and a short full beard.

I'll look out for ya Jaimoe! I work til almost Midnight so it'll be a late appearance for me, if I do indeed make it.

The cd review in Eye that I was reading described Purple Hill as a cross between Dr. Dog and BSS.

I'll look out for ya Jaimoe! I work til almost Midnight so it'll be a late appearance for me, if I do indeed make it.

The cd review in Eye that I was reading described Purple Hill as a cross between Dr. Dog and BSS.

I'll probably be gone not too long after midnight since the show will be over and I'll have a group of friends with me.

The Eye reviewer only refers to one song as sounding like Dr. Dog (whom I've never heard of) and BSS. I know Owen well and Purple Hill's first album is really cosmic country with a dash of old-school Carter Family. Owen as a solo artist likes to play intricate instrumentals fused into some dark and honest country-folk. However, judging by his side project Rough Skeletons and the three song sampler on the myspace page, Owen and Purple Hill are experimenting above and beyond alt-country, adding more 60's psychedlia and White Light/White Heat VU.