Jambands.ca

Festival Express bonus!

Esau

Well I just finished downloading some footage from Festival Express,looks like its from the origianl source,All tracks are watermarked with film reel ID (?) and a counter.

It begins actually at the part where the gal is taking a mouthful of CC from the pump.

Also the first minute or so of "Better take Jesus's Hand" with Garcia on acoustic/vocals and Sylvia Tyson audio is silent,but after that it kicks in to the audio.Very rough at first,but cleans up well eventually during CC rider.

BTW its on STG under the video torrent threads.

It's mpeg.

Band Grateful Dead

Venue McMahon Stadium

Location Calgary, AB, Canada

Date 7/3/70 - Friday

Track 1 ; 15:28 ; offstage footage % CC Rider

Track 2 ; 20:35 ; CC Rider (alt angles) % Don't Ease Me In % New Speedway Boogie

Track 3 ; 7:57 ; Easy Wind

Track 4 ; 6:29 ; Hard To Handle*

*This wasn't in the movie,great footage of PigPen.

-------COMMENTS-------------------------------------------------------------------------

According to Ihor Slabicky circulating video tape copies of Festival Express film footage show the Don't Ease from this show (daytime) , the New Speedway Boogie (electric), and the Hard To Handle. The video also contains a C.C. Rider from this show (nightime) from an all-star Jam. Slabicky lists personnel as follows: Garcia is playing his red Gibson, Kreutzmann on tambourine, Sylvia Tyson of The Great Speckled Bird on vocals with other members of this band Jim Colegrove on bass, Buddy Cage on pedal steel, N.D. Smart on Drums, and Amos Garrett on lead guitar, Delaney Bramlett on guitar, the organ player from Delaney and Bonnie's group, and Ian Tyson on acoustic guitar. C.C. Rider is followed by Will The Circle Be Unbroken, with Bonnie Bramlett on vocals.

It has been claimed that there was a free concert following this show during which Janis joined the Dead for Lovelight. Perhaps the all-star Jam Slabicky refers to comes from this free concert, since he identifies it as night-time footage. Dwight Holmes reports that he waited in line for a show at the Aragon Ballroom in Chicago on 7/5/70, where it was announced around 5:00 PM that the Dead had cancelled.

This and the next 3 shows listed (through 7/3/70) were as part of the Trans Continental Pop Festival tour by train across Canada with Janis and the Band among a great many others. See Might As Well for a response (the title quotes Janis). Reporedly there are 100 hours of raw film footage from the tour which may be in process of being edited into a feature documentary. SBD of Janis's awesome set from Toronto 6/27/70 is in circulation; as filler it has two songs listed as from Calgary 7/4/70.

Recordings none in circulation 10/00

Contributors Jim Powell % Dwight Holmes % Howard Mott % Ihor Slabicky

Caretaker Jim Powell

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WOO-HOO!! [big Grin]

Jay,

Its a bit rough to start but worth the download,classic Jerry,even with the film ID in the centre of the screen.This isn't from the screening also,it appears to be a raw bootleg of the original source,there was no mention of Fetsival Express ever being released,but I hope it does make it to the shelves.

Jaimoe,

Sorry I missed ya buddy,I was with a small crew of folks from here:

Chickenbutta

New Rider & his gal

New Riders brother

Stoned Free

We ended up at a gathering with a few other folks we met up with from Toronto that were at the screening & through a party....given'r all night long. [big Grin]

Next time I guess bro,can't wait to read your review.

I found another disc I think you would be interested in : ABB "Idle Wind south outtakes".

There has been some trouble there with connecting to the tracker,but you will get connected with persistence,or by just leaving the BT window open and eventually it connects.Then its a fingers crossed thingy,hoping that the seeder keeps his window open or folks who complete the download keep their BT window open,frustrating at times,but I have probally downloaded 50 shows in less than a month,15 of which are some rare Dylan.

Cheers T,

Good luck.

Ya, sorry I missed you Esau. I wore my Robert Johnson t-shirt like I said I would. There was a lot of people there however.

My review is coming along very slowly.

The Idlewild out-takes does sound interesting, very interesting.

I talked to Booche and we'll be getting you some Dead, but it might take awhile. I hope we'll cross paths at the Mule show in October at the Mucis Hall?

Jaimoe,

I had on (as usual) a GD tye-dye with a farmer skeleton and a floppy Little Feat hat,if ya seen a mess of dreads hangin out,I was with them.

I know I will be in Toronto at the Caution jam shows in early oct. and definatly at Mule,possibly before then,but then again its only a couple weeks away.

Archived