Jambands.ca

Sat. June 28 at the Lanc in Kitchener

mark tonin

SINGING SONGS FOR SEA TURTLES

Sat. June 28

upstairs at the Lanc in Kitchener

I'll be playing with the Chris Mulligan Band as part of a benefit show for a friend (Kelley Bruce). All of the proceeds are going to support her with this cause.

THE PLIGHT OF COSTA RICAN SEA TURTLES:

Sea Turtles have been on earth for over 65 million years. They have witnessed the fall of dinosaurs and the rise of humanity. Their habitat spans the globe from the North Atlantic near the Arctic Circle to the South Pacific around New Zealand. Extraordinary creatures, they hold important secrets about biology and medicine. Leatherbacks are the largest turtle, reaching a shell length of 1.7m and a mass of 700kg. In 1980 there were over 115,000 adult females, but there are now less than 25,000 worldwide, and they are close to extinction in the Pacific Ocean. Similarly, Olive Ridley Turtles have experienced a 50% reduction in population size since the 1960s. The risks to these amazing life forms are the loss of beach areas used for nesting, marine debris, accidental harvest by commercial fishing, disease, poaching/hunting of turtles and eggs, and pollution. If action is not taken soon to protect sea turtles in the ocean, and on nesting beaches, they will disappear in our lifetime.

MY EFFORTS: July 3rd I am flying to Costa Rica to volunteer at a Sea Turtle Conservation camp. I will be working six days a week, 7 to 8 hours a day, for four weeks helping in any way I can: cleaning and monitoring beaches, tagging adult turtles, collecting data, monitoring egg incubations, and releasing newborns. I have recently begun my “training†in order to achieve the guideline goal of walking 15 km per day. I hope that my small contribution will aid in the preservation of these marvelous animals.

HOW YOU CAN HELP: Over the next few months I need to raise funds towards my trip, which will cost approximately $3000.00. As this is an. entirely volunteer position, I must pay for my flight, lodgings, meals, and provisions. In order to raise these funds I will be doing a series of fundraisers including the sales of promotional materials, and hosting a 50/50 poker party, a wine and cheese silent auction, and a possibly a concert. I would appreciate any support you could provide including the purchase of products, attendance to event(s), donations of silent auction items, monetary contributions, or more ideas. Thanks so much for your support! Please stay tuned for more information on fundraising efforts, and log on to www.volunteerabroad.ca to find out more about the organization behind this project.