Jambands.ca

Scores at the Hamilton Public Library

DevO

A trip to the Passport Canada office today found me going for a stroll through Jackson Square, just to see what's left of it. I haven't walked through that mall in years and it actually had more going on than I thought it would, even though its about 80% dollar stores, discount womens' clothing and lottery ticket booths. Also of note, they moved the food court down to the main level. I wandered into the library and walked out with some great stuff.. You can take out 50 items at a time! This was all I could carry though:

CDs:

- Singing for Life: Songs of Hope, Healing, and HIV/AIDS in Uganda (Smithsonian Folkways)

- Ouganda: Aux sources du Nil (1992 Radio France)

- Fela Kuti & Afrika 70 - Opposite People

- Art of Field Recording: 50 Years of traditional music documented by Art Rosenbaum

- Willie P Bennett - Hobo's Taunt

- Charles Mingus - Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Minges

- Duke Ellington in Hamilton (live at The Forum, 8 Feb 1954)

- Bashraf - Taarab Instrumentals from Zanzibar

books:

Around the World in 57.5 Gigs - Dave Bidini

dvd:

Beastie Boys - Awesome: I Shot That!

(2004 gig at MSG, they distributed 50 cams to fans, then compiled the footage into one concert film)

Long live public libraries and Jackson Square!

I love love love public libraries! I started borrowing discs from the biblio when I was in high school - much of my musical education came for my precious library card. Such an under-used resource for music, and films.

Edited by Guest