Ottawa Bluesfest

Blueslog

Stardate 071008

Live Music Review

Review By: Velvet

Seun Kuti & Egypt 80 - Ottawa Bluesfest 07-09-2008

Seun Kuti & Egypt 80

photo by: Andre Bouchard

Bluesfest has made a lot of improvements this year. The addition of an extra stage, the connecting of the staging areas so you can pass between them with beer and without getting rechecked for said beer, the staging positions, and hell, I’m even finding that the elimination of a full program doesn’t bother me that much. The lawn chair issue seems close to working itself out (in our favour, thankfully), and they even ditched the moronic text-messaging annoyance from the main stage screen after the first night. There is a sound bleed issue this year but I’m confident plans are already in the works to alleviate that problem as much as possible. It seems the only real complaint this year is conflicts. Steely Dan versus Zappa Plays Zappa, Taj Mahal versus The Tragically Hip, hell, Widespread Panic versus The Wailers versus Johnny Winter! The festival has posed some hard decisions because of their prime programming, and tonight was another toughie.

When the lineup was first announced I pored over it with enthusiasm, roughly planning out what great bands I was gonna see. For this night I initially thought I’d check out the Plain White T’s until I got my Hey There Delilah (say what you will but I love that fuckin’ song), then split my time between The Black Crowes and Seun Kuti. Plans change.

I was talking to Tony D the other day and he was saying how it was a great festival but there was so much going on that people only stick around for twenty minutes and then they go check something else out. I got to thinking how that wasn’t really fair to the artist; not so much on their behalf, but on mine. You can’t appreciate and album sort of album from just a few tracks, if you know what I mean, you gotta listen to the whole thing. Lots of shows are gonna have a lull but if you don’t stick around you’re not gonna get the whole show, in a manner of speaking. I had noticed that I had been spending more time at single shows as the fest progressed, but after talking to Tony I’ve been making a point of thrying to pick my show and stick to it. One success story from that strategy so far is last night’s Brian Wilson show. I sooooo almost left before it got great.

Tonight’s show of choice was Seun Kuti. The son of famed Afrobeat legend Fela Kuti (and brother to Bluesfest alumni Femi Kuti) led his pappa’s band through a glorious dancing-not-optional set at the Blacksheep Stage and I was happy to be there. There was an uncountable amount of musicians on stage and while half of them churned out the hypnotic overlaying repeated figures indicative of North African music, the other half simultaneously blasted out the best Motown has to offer. Seun split his time between playing the alto sax and dancing in the style indigenous to his culture while dressed in a suit made for cheap dinner parties in 1979. The band delivered a relentless rhythm punctuated by horn shots that kept the crowd with them the whole set. I was actually surprised at how many people I know held out for the whole thing without venturing over for a peek at the Black Crowes. I popped over there mid-set to hit the ATM and it was crowded and sounthern rockin’, but not at all where my mind was at, being in the middle of a soul-African dance-athon back at the Blacksheep Stage.

The band left the stage at precisely 11pm and as I sit here typing I bet the woodblock player still has titak titak titak going on in his head. Another great night at the Bluesfest. Bring on the weekend!

Previous Logs: