Jambands.ca

Upcoming Toronto and Hamilton shows

TheGoodRev

Alright folks, here it comes...

Tomorrow night, Wed July 30, I'll be playing dobro, banjo and pedal steel with Nick Rose & The Magnolias at Tranzac. The band is usually electric but we re-tooled for a festival on Manatoulin Island last Saturday. We spent Thursday and Friday in a cabin in Kilarney with no electricity, adapting all of Nick's tunes to an acoustic setup. I mostly played dobro and a bit of 5-string banjo; the bass player played upright; the drummer played a small kit; and the two guitarists and keyboardist traded off on two acoustics and a mandolin. We're aiming to bring the same down-home bluegrassified show to the Tranzac gig tomorrow (though I'll also bring my steel) and we hope you'll like what we do. Set time 10pm, PWYC.

The same band, but back to our old electric ways, will also play the Dakota next week, on Tuesday Aug 5.

Then on Friday Aug 8, I'll play with my new solo outfit Espanola inside a rad shop on James Street North in Hamilton called Mixed Media. This will go down during the monthly Art Crawl and it will be a blast. It's free to get in and we're celebrating an art show of my friend Amy Kenny's paintings that will begin that night at Mixed Media. I'll be backed by Nick Dika (Arkells) on bass, Mike Ventimiglia (Mississippi Kings) on guitar, and Bryce Clark (Killin Time) on drums.

[How's this for mind-blowing: this gig has been booked for over a month. I just found out today that Mixed Media - 174 James Street North - occupies the same space as a store called Deluxe Menswear that was owned and operated by my great-grandfather beginning in the 1920's. Unreal.]

Anyway, two days later the same outfit will play the second stage at the Festival of Friends in Hamilton's Gage Park. Set time is 2pm and admission is free.

We'll take a week off and then play at Casbah in Hamilton on Tues Aug 19, opening the CD release show for my buddies in the Abbreviations. They're awesome and their new record sounds great. Young guys, full of heart and soul, and rock.

In between the Fest of Friends and the Abbreevs show, though, you all in Toronto and Hamilton will bear witness to the return of the mighty Jawbone, as we play the Supermarket in Toronto on Thursday Aug 14 and Pepper Jack's in Hamilton on Fri Aug 15. Both shows will be with Little Foot Long Foot and the Northwest Division. We'll play early in Toronto, late in Hamilton, don't friggin miss it, I love playing in this band and it's a whole different world from everything else I do (I don't play any steel). We'll also play at Sonic Orchard on Friday Aug 22.

Ok let's recap:

Wed Jul 30 - Nick Rose & The Magnolias (acoustic and bluegrassy) at Tranzac, Toronto

Tue Aug 5 - Nick Rose & The Magnolias (all electric country-rock awesome) at Dakota Tavern, Toronto

Fri Aug 8 - Espanola at Mixed Media, 174 James Street North, Hamilton

Sun Aug 10 - Espanola at Festival of Friends, Stage 2, Gage Park, Hamilton (set time 2pm)

Thu Aug 14 - Jawbone at Supermarket, Toronto

Fri Aug 15 - Jawbone at Pepper Jack's, Hamilton

Tue Aug 19 - Espanola at Casbah, Hamilton

Fri Aug 22 - Jawbone at Sonic Orchard, Kimbercote Farm, near Collingwood

Holy shit that's a lot of gigs! You should probably just come to all of them, thanks!

(ahem)

The Tranzac show went extremely well last night...it's a small room but it was packed, people waiting out in the hall.

People, if you like MUSIC, do yourselves a favour and come see the same band next week at the Dakota. We had two days in the woods rehearsing and it's showing. This isn't even my own shit I'm pushing, this is a band where I'm a sideman. Of course you should also make a point to come see Jawbone in a couple weeks...