Jambands.ca

The Last Waltz

AD

Hey dudes and dudettes,

A friend needs some ideas for a university paper on why The Last Waltz is relevant culturally today. I've been stuck on a few topics, like crossover appeal between folk, blues, rock and roll, little bit of gospel (Staples), etc.. and how that isn't seen anymore. Also the typical 'bunch of Canadian drunks do good', but that's been done before I think.

My challenge: help me out with this! I know there's enough of you that listen to GREAT music and know enough to come up with a kick-ass topic for this.

Please help me out on this! If anyone can, it's all you crazies out there!!!

AD

Hey alan, if you look at the essay in the liner notes of the dvd, there are some pretty interesting observations, if I remember correctly. Aside from that, you might want to read Griel Marcus's book Mystery Train: Images of America In Rock, which has an entire chapter devoted to the Band's influence on American culture.

Best I can do on a busy Tuesday morning.

Good luck!

Uh, you're assuming it is culturally relevant today.

I'm not saying it isn't, but before you figure out why it is, you might consider whether it is. You'll probably have to define what "culturally relevant" actually means, too (I can't come up with a good definition of it).

Aloha,

Brad

Archived