Jambands.ca

KGN Band Loganseed Concert Review

Jaimoe

Loganseed Concert Review

By Jaimoe

I went to the Horseshoe Tavern in Toronto on Wednesday night for Local Alternative night. I've heard of Loganseed, but I've never heard their music, so I thought I'd go to the 'Shoe Wednesday to see and hear this Kingston band for myself. I have an open mind ( I think ) about different styles of music, and I do like to see almost all types of bands live. To get right to the point, I think Loganseed are an abhorrent nu-metal abomination.

First off, I'd like to start by describing Loganseed's scattershot sound: Creed-meets-Incubus-meets-Our Lady Peace and yes, they are a band that lacks any kind of originality or direction. Every song they played Wednesday sounded the same... and played at the same tempo... and sounded like bad rip-offs of dying nu-metal bands.

Forgettable riffs abounded from guitarist Brandon Bullett and bassist Phil Saxe ( Bullett looked every bit the poorman's version of Yngwie Malmsteen, only Bullett didn't play any real solos ) . When Brad wasn't posing and flipping his hair back to the admiring 30-plus crowd of Kingstonians bussed in for this gig, he squatted down for chats in mid-song with members of the Bulletthead fan club. The bad riffs were augmented by obnoxious and punishing unmelodic singing from the truly dreadful lead vocalist Cal Murray ( dressed at the beginning of this gig like a tie-wearing reject form the Might Mighty Boss Tones ). He sang and sang over every bass and guitar riff - it was like Cal was trying out for the Raine Maida Award for most ego-centric/irritating lead singer: " Listen to my beautiful voice O worshipping minions. Listen to my generic metal lyrics over our bland rip-off music O Kingston and a couple of curious Toronto faithful ". Rounding out Loganseed's sound was a turntable/scratcher stylist, who, sadly, isn't even listed on their website. It doesn't matter because the Incubus-inspired scratching was pointless and invisible Wednesday night - as invisible as the 'scratcher's' name and picture that are missing or omitted from Loganseed's website.

Surreal scene of the night: With a bussed-in Kingston crowd of approximately 30 jocks and groupie-wannabe girls pushed up tight to the stage, one fan climbed up and did a stage-dive onto only five people!!! Then the Labatt's 50 started squirting World Series celebration-style, soaking parts of Loganseed and their groupie-wannabes. Oh, the Seedheads' sure do love spraying each other with their 50.

The thing is, this band still has the potential to be passable. However, they have to do a few things first:

1 - Fire the lead singer. He's got to go. He over-sings and sans melody over every instrumental part of their songs. Get a singer who can sing... and create memorable melodies.

2 - Add backing vocals. Cal is the only one that sings, ala Eddie Vedder... and sadly, he ain't no Eddie Vedder.

3 - Lose the scratcher/turntable dude. This nu-metal affliction is trendy, but immediately dated when attempted live nowadays.

4 - Add a second guitarist, preferably rhythm. A guy who can write catchy hooks with a knowledge of the value of creating choruses. Leave Mr. Bullett to the lead stuff... although I don't know whether he can play lead yet - Loganseed doesn't seem to have room for guitar solos, due to vocalist Cal's over-singing.

5 - Get new metal influences - ones that aren't trendy. The biggest problem with Loganseed is that they obviously like bands that suck. They should go out and buy all the Tool and early Metallica albums and rip them off. Those bands are talented and interesting. Incubus and Creed ain't.

All and all, I'm still amused and horrified from what I saw and heard Wednesday, and I was entertained for all the wrong reasons. But then again, I was entertained.

Archived