Jambands.ca

Ipod: Black Apple of Death

zero

I got a hand me down 8 gig nano with some serious battery charging issues i.e. losing it's charge really quick. Then bought a new charger today and it's just flashing the black apple of death and generating no charge seemingly.

Is the pooch fully screwed?

There's some signs of life... backlight came back and it shows the charged battery problem is I can't turn it off. Even in 'off' mode it shows the charged battery 'til it's dead. I got to get it fixed I guess but it seems like it'd be better just to replace it. Thanks Brad.

Is the backlight set to always be on?...If it is, your battery will run through its charge a lot faster...Try setting it to turn off after 10 seconds...you can do this by going to Settings in the main menu then select Backlight...

Failing that, if it's a software problem, you can always reset your ipod to it's original factory settings via iTunes...

You could try replacing the battery...Apple has a replacement program but after you factor in all the costs of the replacement program and the fact that there's no guarantee that replacing the battery will solve your problem, you may just be better off getting a new ipod...Or switching to cassettes and getting an old Walkman...Or just humming to yourself...

It's what I thought. I think I'll still try replacing the battery though.

Oh and after the last black apple I managed to get it to power up (the backlight and menus) but everything was wiped clean. What does that sound like?

If the ipod has been wiped clean but it is now working properly, though it's a drag you've lost the content on there, you can be happy that you have a working ipod that is ready to receive new music...You probably still have all the mp3 files on the computer you synced the ipod to so it shouldn't be a big deal to transfer it back to the ipod again...

If you're still having power issues as well as the loss of all your files, you might be looking at replacing it...

I would try syncing the ipod in iTunes...Sometimes that will fix your problems...If iTunes won't sync with your ipod, it's probably indicative of a bigger problem which most likely won't be repairable...