Jambands.ca

Luminato'd

DevO

What an amazing weekend of free music in Toronto!

I missed the DTB last night as I had to get back to Ottawa, but heard it was a great cap to an amazing day of music. Besides Tedeschi, also heard that Jerry Douglas and Jeff Coffin sat in. Nice.

Thoughts:

- Taj Mahal - Amazing show, wow! Really solidified my love for this man. Mamadou Diabate sat in for the first song on the kora and they played "Honey Bee" (I think its called), off that one amazing album these two did together (dunno the name of it). A gem of a performance.

- Lanois - The plan was to play a solo all-instrumental set, which was switched up a bit so that Lanois could welcome his "old friend" Bjorn Andersaan (Folkalarm drum wizzard) to share the stage for a few songs, including The Maker. Lanois' show was so interesting and strong, and such a treat to see him sit at the pedal steel for such a long time.

- Harry Manx / Kevin Breit - good times as usual, no new tunes or surprises, mean version of "Summertime".

Folkalarm - Good, nothing special to note though. The played song or two that I hadn't heard before. I think they've put out a new album sometime over the past year.

- Sonny Landreth - Holy jesus!!!!!! My first time hearing his music, this guy is a monster! Definitely the biggest surprise of the weekend. This guy's influence over Kevin Breit's style is quite clear. Sidenote: twas cool to see Kevin Breit watching with amazement from sidestage

- Jerry Douglas Band: good dobro playin as usual.. No risk taking though and nothing particularly captivating. I've seen him a few times and JD just doesn't seem to get me very worked up.

Great Canadian Tune: I had a prime location and axe in hand, this event great. Its hard to explain the rush that came along with holding your guitar up high among thousands of others, then tuning together and strumming along to Helpless. Powerful! What was up with that girl in the house band? I reckon she was just straight up stoned and sketched out.. Saying the most random things, messing up Helpless, etc. Anyways, it was a let down that we didn't break the record, but great nonetheless.