Jambands.ca

Best place to stay in NYC?

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I'm headed up to NYC in August, and I'm wondering if anyone has any tips for cheap hotels, cheap parking, good/bad neighbourhoods, etc...

I'm assuming you are staying in Manhattan? To save some money, you may look into parking in Hoeboken NJ, and taking the train to Manhattan. I stayed at the famous Chelsea Hotel in Manhattan last year. It's a colourful place with an interesting pop culture related history and recommended: http://www.hotelchelsea.com/

Also, most of Manhattan is safe - even Harlem, but not including the Bronx - and my favourite sections are Greenwich Village and Soho. Times Square is interesting, but is an overload of the senses and grossly expensive.

i booked the sheraton times square on priceline for $90 in April. granted, that might not happen in August.

another alternative is staying in secaucus, NJ. which is literally a 15 minute bus ride into port authority. buses run pretty late. i've booked hotels there through priceline as well. paid about $80 in august a few years ago for the hilton suites.

not sure that cheap parking exists.