Jambands.ca

Mousey senses tingling...

Velvet

Disney buys Marvel for $4B US

Last Updated: Monday, August 31, 2009 | 10:18 AM ET

The Associated Press

The Walt Disney Co. says it is acquiring Marvel Entertainment Inc. for $4 billion US in cash and stock, bringing characters like Iron Man and Spider-Man into the Disney family.

Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of 5,000 Marvel characters.

3-month stock chart for The Walt Disney Co. Disney said Monday that Marvel shareholders will receive $30 per share in cash plus 0.745 Disney shares for every Marvel share they own.

It said the boards of Disney and Marvel have both approved the transaction, but it requires an antitrust review and the approval of Marvel shareholders.

http://www.cbc.ca/money/story/2009/08/31/disney-marvel-purchase.html

Guest Low Roller

Excellent acquisition by Disney Corp. as it broadens their demographic and it offers all sorts of new possibilities for distribution deals, attractions at their amusement parks, and marketing campaigns. Disney was hurting for fresh material so this move makes perfect sense.

This deal might also have some interesting implications for the comic book industry depending on whether Disney really wants to maintain the print side of the business (Marvel is the industry leader), or if they simply wanted the intellectual property given the huge figures super-hero movies make in theatres.

And I too hope that this move skyrockets the value of my comic book collection that is currently collecting dust.

Guest Low Roller

Apparently the Thor, Captain America, and the Avengers films are still a go as originally planned, however everything else is open for considersation. I doubt that they will run out of money or resources to create more movies. There is of course the risk of super-hero film oversaturation.

Here's hoping for a Spider-Ham animated movie!

MarvelTailsStarringPeterPorkertheSpectacularSpider-Ham1.jpg