Jambands.ca

Vanity Fair - The Music Issue

M

So I just picked up the annual Music Issue by Vanity Fair. I buy it every year, savour it and save it. I've taken a cursory look through and there appear to be some treats inside, such as:

> "Stairway to Excess" - article written by Lisa Robinson about life on the road w. the Led Zep boys in the 70s; excerpts from her personal diaries.

> "Recorded in the USA" - an essay from Annie Leibovitz's upcoming book. Leibovitz is an excellent photographer who has contributed tons to Rolling Stone, among other magazines. She's snapped some of the most memorable rock photos of our day.

> "Confessions of a Vinyl Junkie" - David Bowie selects 25 out of his 2,500 vinyls that "simply must go to CD". Written in Bowie's own words w/ commentary on the selection of each.

Oh, and for all you Widespread Panic fans, there's a very interesting ad in the magazine that caught my eye immediately. It's a foldout three page ad for Volkswagen consisting solely of a close-up snapshot of a bunch of WSP '97 spring tour ticket stubs (w/ only a small VW logo and "drivers wanted" tag in the RH corner). A rather tasteful and targeted marraige of marketing with music. Bound to be hung on dorm room walls all across the states I'm sure. [Wink]

Saw that on the shelf yesterday, and my attention was immediately caught by Willie Nelson as part of the cover photo - great photo by Annie of Willie inside too.

Totally freaked me out, that WSP VW ad - I thought, "who, that reads Vanity Fair, is going to have a clue who WSP are?" Well, I guess my question has been answered. I never realized that Vanity Fair have a noteworthy annual music issue though.

Anyway, I think what blew me away most was seeing the double-page 4-colour photo of the North Mississippi Allstars. Guess we're lucky we've been seeing them in small club venues, 'cause they could be poised for some major mainstream breakthrough or something. [Wink]

Archived