Jambands.ca

Tinariwen - this Thurs Mar 4 - The Phoenix

DevO

I've been waiting a few years to finally get the chance to check these guys out. Heard the sold out show 2 years back at the Mod Club was great. Anyone else going, or seen them before?

tinariwen_top.gif

Tinariwen Live In Concert - Saharan Desert Guitar Rebels

From their origins as nomads and rebel warriors in the Saharan deserts of Mali, via the Festival in the Desert, to the largest music stages in the world, the thirty-year history of Tinariwen is a fascinating and inspiring tale. Returning to Toronto after their sold-out performance in 2008, their music inspires audiences with the raw power of its bluesy multi-guitar attack, its melodic beauty and epic songs of suffering and exile. Under the charismatic leadership of Ibrahim Ag Alhabib, the band has won prestigious world music awards as well as fans including Robert Plant, Bono and Brian Eno, along the way, becoming one of the most popular African groups on the planet.

"...an intoxicating, hypnotic sound..." 5/ 5 Stars. Andy Gill - The Independent (UK)

Small World Music presents:

Tinariwen Live In Concert

Saharan Desert Guitar Rebels

Thursday, March 4, 2010 9pm

Phoenix Concert Theatre, 410 Sherbourne St

Admission $30 Advance, $40 @ The Door

Tickets @ smallworldmusic.com | Rotate This, 801 Queen St. W. | Soundscapes, 572 College St.

African Drums & Art Crafts, 618 Dundas St. W.

Wow, lots of great music happening this Thursday, with this show, the Sister Euclid show, Umphrey's in Buffalo, the United Steelworkers in Hamilton, etc. I heard about this band a while ago on CBC radio and and at the time I remember thinking that I'd love to check them out if and when they were in the area. Unfortunately, I won't be hitting up this show or any of the others mentioned above, as there is a major arts production happening at my school that I am involved with.

Enjoy KevO, and let us know what you think of this show.

Peace, Mark