Jambands.ca

Muse, Air Canada Centre, March 8th

Guest Low Roller

Guest Low Roller

I used to go see a lot of shows. I was a habitual show-goer. At one point during the golden age of 2001-2002 I would go out on average 4 times a week to see shows of all sizes. I was living in a shangri-la of concert schedules. Every concert seemed better, more epic that the one preceding it.

Then life took over, and years of darkness descended upon my idyllic social outings. A stint in expensive England followed by a masters degree did not really lend itself towards any extra-curricular outings. In fact the last two shows I went to were Neil Young in Ottawa last year, and the one before that was, well, Neil Young again, this time in Kent England. From 4 shows a week to 1 a year? Harsh.

So anyways, all that was to say that I was pleased as shit to go out last night to see Muse at the ACC in Toronto. I've always wanted to see their impressive brand of hard rock meets rock opera, especially after seeing the energy they bring into each of their shows from various DVDs that I downloaded.

They certainly did not disappoint. They played each song with such ferocity that it was quite a spectacle of endurance and longevity on their part considering that they have been touring for a while, and will continue to do so for a while yet. They played all of their major songs, including crowd favorites Starlight, Plug In Baby, and Stockholm Syndrome with such intensity that it even got a typically passive Toronto audience out of their seats pumping their fists. Sometimes the best moments came from their brief interludes where they would just jam some random riffs which sometimes sounded more killer than the songs themselves!

The light show was quite decent, with the runaway highlight being the FRICKIN' LASER BEAMS!! They were so plentiful and bright that I thought I had entered the matrix.

They played just short of two hours, and during that whole set there was maybe one slow moment in the show, otherwise it was all high energy, loud, bright, and great fun! With elements of Queen, Radiohead, and Queens of the Stoned Age, I would definitely recommend trying to see them next time they swing around if you're in the mood to see a proper arena rock show.