Jambands.ca

THE AVETT BROTHERS - Tuesday, June 1 @ The Phoenix

hipsterave

That was a FABULOUS show!!

My first time seeing The Avetts and they did not dissapoint. Their energy is SUPER infectious. Their vocal ranges and harmonies were really impressive. Both brothers are multi-instrumentalists. I liked the cello player's vibe too. Great songs. I wish they had more of their discs available on hand, but was able to pick up one that I do not have. Can't wait to see them again! (don't know when though...wish they were on the All Good bill...)

I thought the opening band was pretty good too. Jessica Leigh's voice was beautiful...very sedated though which I liked. I thought her guitar player was good too...some interesting tones and layers he was adding to the mix. My only real complaint is that after a while their songs started to all sound the same. I swear the song that they closed with they had already played. So as much as they were cool to catch a glimpse of, I was happy when they were finished...mostly due to my pent-up anticipation of the Avetts though.

I didn't know what to expect in terms of turnout, but the place was packed! Didn't see too many skanks though.

The crowd was great last night - loud and appreciative throughout. The Phoenix's much-maligned sound and acoustics were surprisingly lively as well. I also liked the Avett's swag, even though it was fairly skimpy on CDs. I bought one of their limited edition posters and I almost caved on a shirt, which were pretty cool-looking.