Jambands.ca

Lidstrom to return for one more year to Wings

Northern Wish

Lidstrom to return for 2010-11 season

Red Wings captain signs one-year deal

Tuesday, 06.01.2010 / 11:58 AM / News

By Bill Roose - DetroitRedWings.com Managing Editor

DETROIT – The giant breeze that rolled up the freeway arteries leading out of downtown was the collective exhalation of a Red Wings’ organization relieved to know that one of the best players of this generation will be back.

Nicklas Lidstrom, who is widely considered the world’s best defenseman in hockey, will return for a 19th season, signing a one-year contract, the Red Wings announced Tuesday.

“I get to watch him every day,†Red Wings general manager Ken Holland said. “I still think that Nick is the premier two-way defenseman in the world. There might be some player that maybe a little bit more productive, offensively, but I think when you factor in who good Nick is defensively, how he played the last half of the year, certainly the last 30 games … I still think we have one – if not the – best defensemen in the world. It’s a great day for Red Wings’ fans.â€

Lidstrom was eligible to become an unrestricted free agent next month. After the Red Wings were eliminated from the Stanley Cup playoffs, Lidstrom said that he would discuss the future with his wife and family.

Despite turning 40 last April, and not being named a Norris Trophy finalist for just the second time in the last 12 seasons, Lidstrom is still regarded by his peers as the best at his craft. In early May, Sports Illustrated polled 272 NHL players, asking them: Who is the best shutdown defenseman? Lidstrom finished on top with 25 percent of the vote, followed by Boston’s Zdeno Chara (23 percent), Nashville’s Shea Weber (10 percent), Philadelphia’s Chris Pronger (9 percent), and Anaheim’s Scott Niedermayer (7 percent).

tumbleweed.jpg