Jambands.ca

bouche

I used to watch the cartoon Avatar series every Saturday AM fairly religiously and it is really quite good. Not the best cartoon ever or anything but the storyline and characters are solid for sure.

Too bad the movie was a flop but I didn't have high hopes at all. Great cartoons often don't translate well into live action. The Guyver cartoon series is probably my all time favourite but the live action movies are absolutely terrible. Casting Mark Hamill as The Guyver didn't rescue the whole thing either. Absolutely craptastic movies.

hyper-zoanoid-team-5-and-guyver-1-by-aleksandr-yakovlev-1280.jpg

Back to the original point. The Last Airbender is one of the best TV cartoons ever, it's scripting and basis in Buddhist, Animist and Taoist lore with a bunch of other stuff worked in (Hungry Ghosts) is really on point. Especially if you've practised internal or external martial arts it's a incredibly well scripted and plotted work. Very adult but likely accessible to children in a way they won't get for years. It really is that good. The plot advances in formidable ways from episode to episode and the interpersonal dynamics of the principals is superlative.

I've got an opportunity to watch it solo whilst I recover from my operation. I don't think I will ever be able to get ms.hux to watch it with me.

I heard about this on the Totally Rad Show podcast. These guys talk about it all the time and pretty much anything that they've recommended, I've really dug.

Example: The Lost Room. Very obscure and very interesting. Though, that was well liked by ms.hux so maybe airbender is girl-worthy?

Yeah the plot pivots around I want to say 4 element benders and the Avatar (an Avatar as opposed to an alias for talking trash is a term for a descended deity or demi-god like Prince or Baba Meher - who was Pete Townshend's guru, only spoke through pupils for the last part of his life and also coined the phrase 'don't worry be happy'). The most formidable of the other benders is his female counterpart and their relationship is central to the whole show. I'd say it's a pretty feminine friendly show, very much so.