Jambands.ca

Prince - 3-Piece Band??!!

Kanada Kev

She's that good.

I doubt Herbie Hancock (and maybe to a lesser extent Jeff Beck) would hire a musican based on anything other than musicality.

Uh...how about Professionalism, style, and stage presence?

I can't act like I don't think she's worth my time when that trio will so obviously be at the very least worth my time to watch online over and over if it ever surfaces.

Too bad the issue of Tal Wilkenfeld always turns sour because she's young and physically fit. Though she's pretty much the complete package for 99% of all the pro acts out there, that 1% will pick someone over Tal for (I would presume) a preferred sense of style and character.

I dig Russ but what an entirely different type of musician.

Here's why I'm tired of this sorry old discussion.

No need to bitch about what's really something quite special and appealing.

I'm glad that Prince didn't get Esperanza Spalding out on tour. Tal would be a way better choice for a trio IMO...

I really like her playing, the broader issue of why women tend to get directed into singer songwriter roles by industry dictates rather than sidewomen or in general the lack of strong female improvising lead players is a challenging issue. I heard a lecture once that analyzed individual issues of Downbeat magazine based on column inches devoted to male and female players for a certain set of years. I think there's some deeper arguments that can be made but I've just always felt like there was an innate hard wiring difference that made men more inclined perhaps (not just chromosome wise but hormone wise) to shred. It is a very phallic, testosterone driven pursuit. I've come to believe though it's basically sociobiology - if it takes 10,000 hrs. to perfect your instrument and for an otherwise totally gawky guy to get laid all it takes for a chick is to say yes.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you're reading too much into this, Luke...especially when you're talking on one hand about 'the industry' and then on physiology (whichis entirely unrelated)

It's probably more like a hack circle than a hormone issue. Hula hoops seem more appealing than playing hacky sack to many.

Time spent jamming with a bunch of dudes to get it all right, dealing with hacks and assholes to find the right people to click with...

...I don't think there are too many girls that want to deal with that and all the other stuff that being a fit young girl would bring to that scenario.

...keep in mind she's a bass player and isn't up there to 'shred', dude.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

WOW! Too bad he isn't touring as a trio. I'd love to hear some of this shit live :)

http://bit.ly/dmy32K

folder6.jpg

Prince – Loring Park Sessions 1977

Get ready for some FUNK! This is Prince at age 19, and is funky as hell. You absolutely MUST download this. Prince, Andre Cymone And Bobby Z Recorded a number of instrumentals in the rehearsal room of Owen Husney’s Loring Park office. Containing 8 Instrumentals, sounding like well-crafted compositions rather than spur-of-the-moment jams. The tracks feature keyboards (Prince), Bass (Andre), Drums (Bobby Z)

Track List

01 – Instrumental #1

02 – Instrumental #2

03 – Instrumental #3

04 – Instrumental #4

05 – Instrumental #5

06 – Instrumental #6

07 – Instrumental #7

08 – Instrumental #8

http://bit.ly/dmy32K