Jambands.ca

Star Wars in 3D

badams

IN 3D

Lucas converting ‘Star Wars’ movies to 3-D

Thirty-eight years ago, George Lucas had a good idea for a movie. The rest of us have moved on, but Lucas insists on continuing to mine the shallow hole that is Star Wars.

It was announced Wednesday that Lucasfilm plans to render all six of the Star Wars instalments into 3-D and re-release them in theatres.

It’s not yet clear when the conversion will be finished, or how the releases will be staggered, but Variety reports that the first entry to hit theatres will be Episode I: The Phantom Menace, in 2012.

As with the previous nine releases (including re-releases of the original trilogy), the movies will be distributed by 20th Century Fox.

“I expect this (the 3-D release) to be as much fun for people that have not experienced Star Wars, as it was for people who were there in 1977 staring at the screen with mouth agape,†Fox distribution chief Bruce Snyder told Variety.

I was there. Maybe you were, too. And while it’s difficult to insert my mind into the body of a five-year-old circa 2010, I’m gonna have to call b.s. on that one.

Lucas has overseen six Star Wars installments. Only one (the one he had the least to do with) stands as a superlative work of filmic art.

But despite his wealth, he insists on bashing new generations over the head with this thing. He’s like Andy Warhol, minus irony. The only good news in this thing is that it might delay the inevitable horror that will be a fifth instalment of the Indiana Jones series.

The 3-D release is going to make George a pile more money. And it’s going to make it harder for those of us who were there on Day 1 to appreciate Star Wars for what it should be – a fondly recalled touchstone and a genre classic, rather than a piece of zombie celluloid that keeps staggering to life.