Jambands.ca

Give Me The Banjo - PBS Tonight

Kanada Kev

Looks like a good series! On tonight on PBS

http://www.thebanjoproject.org/

ecard.jpg

We’re putting the final touches on Give Me the Banjo , the PBS broadcast documentary that will air on Nov 4 at 9 PM (8 PM Central). It’s part of a new series, PBS Arts Fall Festival. The full title is PBS Arts from the Blue Ridge Mountains: Give Me the Banjo. Running time is 82 minutes.

It’s been an intense, exhausting five months of paring down, editing, re-writing, re-editing and polishing. On Sept 14, we recorded the voice over narration with Steve Martin. Tony Trischka is providing the additional musical score and the credit music. And there’s more good news: we have a home video deal with New Video, with an April 2012 release date. Much of the material that couldn't be included in the PBS program will find its way into the DVD and The Banjo Project website.

The Banjo Project is a cross-media cultural odyssey: a major television documentary, a live stage/multi-media performance, and a website that chronicle the journey of America’s quintessential instrument—the banjo—from its African roots to the 21st century. It’s a collaboration between Emmy-winning writer-producer Marc Fields and banjo virtuoso Tony Trischka (the Project’s Music Director), one of the most acclaimed acoustic musicians of his generation.

Narrated by Steve Martin, Give Me the Banjo brings together contemporary players—including Pete Seeger, Earl Scruggs, Bela Fleck, Mike Seeger, Don Vappie, Abigail Washburn and The Carolina Chocolate Drops—with folklorists, historians, instrument makers and passionate amateurs to tell the story of America's instrument in all its richness and diversity.