Jambands.ca

Daniel Lanois & Brian Blade - Great Hall 03/23-24

Esau.

This show was captivating, intimate and gorgeous. WOW, still buzzing from it 3 days later. I liked the set up and vibe of the Black Box Theatre - dark and kind of dungeon-like theatre in the round with wooden bleachers around the stage, and an upper balcony hanging over top of it (some stools but more of a standing room thing). It was fairly easy to wander around throughout the show. Lanois started it out with a DJ set with himself on the mixing board. Videos were in full swing. Lanois' entourage was in full force capturing the entire night on various types of cameras and film. The show itself with Brian Blade and Jim Wilson (bass) was so good. Brian Blade blew me away yet again. He really makes those drums speak like no one else. He's the best I've ever seen (Jorn Juul Andersen would be up there with him). And the SOUND was impeccable! The sound coming out of that bass drum was so deep and loud and resonating. Whew.

I can't speak much for the setlist but The Messenger was a big highlight and The Maker was also played. Only one (maybe two) songs on the pedal steel. We hung out for quite a while after to soak up the atmosphere and more Stiegls and listen to the dub reggae DJ set afterwards. GREAT night!!

CBC Music is supposedly going to continue posting video clips from the two shows all week so check it out.

Edited by Guest