Saturday, October 20th, 2012

El Mocambo - 464 Spadina Ave.

www.elmocambo.ca

$10 / $20 with CD / 10 PM

Facebook Invite: http://on.fb.me/TE0rQb

Check out the single "Best I Can Be" http://snd.sc/MBx4bL

House of David Gang

www.houseofdavidgang.com

Toronto roots rock reggae act House of David Gang is the longest running downtown reggae collective. Named after "The House of David" an after hours on hip Queen Street West, the club was a hot spot for artists from the city's burgeoning Rastafarian and reggae community throughout the late 80's until the mid 90's.

Fronted by vocalist King Selah, drummer Jahlin Edwards, Guitarists Chris Davies & Jay "High Plains Drifter" Cleary and Bassie Snappy Homefry. House of David Gang is reggae outfit delivers late 70s and early 80s style Jamaican reggae originals mixed with folk, soul, calypso, afrobeat, hip hop as well as performing the classic roots reggae material of Bob Marley, Peter Tosh, Bunny Wailer, Gregory Isaacs and Dennis Brown.

With 350 hours of studio time clocked at musician/producer Snappy Homefry's Playhouse Studios, and joined by over 20 musicians from Toronto reggae community, House of David Gang is ready to unveil the CD "Reggae Warriors" on NuFunk.ca Records.

House of David wowed audiences this summer at Rasta Fest to 4,000 fans alongside Mighty Diamonds and Echo Minott, the band garnered national pro on CBC Radio and performed live to 2 million people on Breakfast Television performing their new songs, including the new single "Best I Can Be". The band is also made it's first West Coast tour with gigs in Vancouver, Whister, Courtney & Nanaimo BC. In addition the band also completed a 5 date tour of Quebec and The Maritimes earlier this summer.

Their annual Bob Marley Birthday Tribute and Food Drive tour has become a staple of the winter music calendar across Ontario, Quebec and Atlantic Canada. In Ontario, hundreds of reggae lovers come out for their springtime Original Wailers Showcase and Peter Tosh Tributes. House of David Gang has performed in front of thousands at the Harvest Jazz & Blues Festival, Atlantic Jazz Festival, Evolve Festival, The Word On The Street, Ottawa Reggaefest, Toronto Freedom Festival, and more. The Band has also shared the stage with Mighty Diamonds, Echo Minott, Bushman, Mad Professor, Third World, The New Kingston, ill Scarlett, Down with Webster, DJ Czech, Wassabi Collective, Friendlyness & The Human Rights, Selassie I Power, Truths & Rights, Mountain Edge and many others.

The debut album by House of David Gang "Reggae Warriors" drops on Saturday, October 20th at the legendary El Mocambo in Toronto. The first single "Best I Can Be" - showcases the bands' penchant for songs with positive and uplifting message.

The Baudelaires

www.thebaudelaires.com

Inspired by the sounds of late sixties reggae producer Leslie Kong (Toots and the Maytals, Jimmy Cliff, Desmond Dekker, The Wailers), the Baudelaires like some soul with their reggae and they're not afraid of a little “church†too. That is, if church refers to the feverish gospel-cum-ska sound that Toots Hibbert drew on for hits like “Sweet and Dandy†and “Pressure Drop†or Desmond Dekker liberally borrowed for “Israelites†and Jimmy Cliff majestically carved into “The Harder They Come.â€

Formed with members from three bands in the Guelph-Waterloo area (the Jolly Llamas, What the Thunder Said, Brother Freedom), the Baudelaires revisit Jamaican classics such as “Reggae Got Soul,†“Soul Shakedown Party,†“Draw Your Brakes†and “Mix Up Girl†sometimes lovingly recreating a vintage sound, at other times giving the material an entirely new reading. They are artful dubbers. They are a rhythm machine. They are also intent on crafting modern classics: their original songs focus on the love of reggae culture (“Rae Town,†“Montrealâ€), the love of a good tryst (“Let Me Be Your Gun,†“Let Me Sleep in Your Bedâ€) and the love of a good clash (“Recession,†“Shame Shameâ€).

Dub Connection w/ Selector K Zar and Crew

Dub Connection is run by Selector K Zar and his crew of emcees and singers. It’s all analogue and it’s all vinyl. The music is raw, underground, and bass heavy. Selector K Zar has been a fan of reggae since his youth. He began playing dances in the early 2000s. He plays everything from big classics to lesser known gems he has discovered collecting vinyl., with a heavy emphasis on roots and dubwise. Currently in the process of building a custom soundsystem, along with engineer Illyes, Dub Connection parties are an experience best had live and direct!

Edited by Guest

• 2 weeks later...