Jambands.ca

Liberal's on Marijuana

bouche

Liberal's stance on Marijuana suggests to

cap the legal amount for pot possession at one ounce, the Liberal policy paper proposes a four-ounce limit.

“We feel this is reasonable and akin to purchasing a 40 or 60 oz. bottle of vodka or whisky a couple times a year instead of buying a small bottle each month,” the report says.

Sounds like they're equating drinking one ounce of booze a day or less to one gram of pot. Weird analogy...or I'm getting it wrong.

It estimates that a “regular” user of marijuana smokes one gram per day, or about an ounce per month.

Equating marijuana to alcohol is an easy way of removing the medicinal advantages of marijuana in the publics eye and a doctor's responsibility to provide patients with non-phrama alternative solution if they so wish, making it simply a recreational product.

They really need to work out the medicinal marijuana program, currently it's a disaster. None of the three parties seem to be interested in doing anything about it.

Doctors are not educated properly on the program, and many are afraid to participate due to lack of clarity from the gov't on their security or responsibilities. Not too mention the numerous police raids on doctors over the last year across Canada for those who did take the initiative and issue permits, hasn't helped matters.

Unfortunately the reasons for not taking part in the program are weak a lot of the time - my family doctor used this argument with me when I sought my permit.

Doctor: How will I know if the person isn't just trying to get high or sell it?

Me: The same way you know a person getting vicodin, oxy, percs or even t3s isn't trying to just get high or sell it?

He wasn't impressed.

“We recommend legal marijuana be sold to the public through specialty private stores and/or anywhere regulated liquor sales take place,†the report states.

The bolded part, in my opinion, needs better clarification. For example, in Quebec and anywhere else where liquor and booze is sold in corner stores, bars (off-sales) or off-sales outlets. Many semi-rural Ontario towns have for over a decade sold beer and liquor in select corner stores and the pilot project of selling it grocery stores has (or will) start this year apparently. I have no doubt the anti-marijuana lobby will jump all over that and it'll carry weight.

I'm in support of this mind you, but I have no faith the liberal party will actually do anything with it aside from gathering votes now and putting the topic aside afterwards.

There was an interesting discussion on the new pot rules on Washington and Colorado on Q last week, Wed or Thurs I think. Doesn't touch on the Liberals views at all but there's talk about alcohol, gateways, etc. I though the interview subject was very good. Worth a listen.