Jambands.ca

A/B testing Pono vs. iPhone

bouche

It is pretty amazing what my phone - and I assume most phones, can do with music. I transfer higher quality mp3's (usually of the 320 variety) and have a whole slew of equalizer and sound file options to alter the sound (read: reduce treble).

With good headphones (I use Bose), the proper EQ settings and the "Tube Amp" option - my tunes sounds spectacular.

And my phone didn't cost $400 for the unit, along $25 per album - but I can also make phone calls!

Sorry Neil but the last couple of years have really tarnished the sterling reputation you had enjoyed to this point.

It is pretty amazing what my phone - and I assume most phones, can do with music. I transfer higher quality mp3's (usually of the 320 variety) and have a whole slew of equalizer and sound file options to alter the sound (read: reduce treble).

With good headphones (I use Bose), the proper EQ settings and the "Tube Amp" option - my tunes sounds spectacular.

And my phone didn't cost $400 for the unit, along $25 per album - but I can also make phone calls!

Sorry Neil but the last couple of years have really tarnished the sterling reputation you had enjoyed to this point.

Agreed. (re: Neil and using phone)

I've never owned an ipod or any portable digital music device for that matter, so I can't really make a comparison. But, my cheapo LG android phone ($100 new w/ $50 of airtime) plays music great for my needs. Since its a really old model and doesn't have much internal space I replaced the stock 2gb micro SD card with a 32gb micro SD and transferred 20gb of live FLAC & 320 mp3 files on it (saving the rest for apps/updates etc). I'm lacking high quality head/earphones but I did get a pair of brand new beats that apparently "fell off a truck"  for 20 bucks at a bar I frequent (I checked too, they're not knock-offs)  and so far they've suited my purposes just fine as a casual user of such things.

At times I do feel a better (and perhaps dedicated) device and head/ear phones would be nice though. I wondered about the Pono player, but since I use these things so infrequently it didn't seem worth the money for me. I almost jumped on a deal for one of those 160gb ipods not long ago before they were discontinued, but my past experience with trying itunes frustrated me to no end as I prefer to label and organize my music as I see fit. With my current phone I can add and change tracks as I want and they remain how I labeled them. That's enough for me.

Sidebar: I have one of 160GB iPods, and I use MediaMonkey for all organizing and transferring. Fuck iTunes.

I didn't realize that, it's good to know there is an itunes alternative. That makes getting an ipod more attractive to me now. Thanks!

I had tried mediamonkey back in the mid 2000s, but since I didn't own any portable devices I was only looking for a desktop player and opted to stay with winamp (still my main desktop player atm) since I had invested so much time and effort into it's customization with my music files.

edit to add: sorry for temp hijack bouche. All done, moved to private.

Edited by Esau.

edit to add: sorry for temp hijack bouche. All done, moved to private.

All that discussion is very well related.  The only thing that turned my stomach slightly was the hatred for iTunes.  You guys…geez.

Labelling and organizing music as one sees fit in iTunes is completely supported.  

One of my favourite features of iTunes is iTunes Match.   I've got access to my entire music library from that magical cloud without having to store everything I 'may' want to listen to on the iPhone, or I can pull the music down on other computers.  Also since I have spotify going, I rarely pull stuff down anyway so I'm probably wasting money on one of those subscriptions.

All that discussion is very well related.  The only thing that turned my stomach slightly was the hatred for iTunes.  You guys…geez.

Labelling and organizing music as one sees fit in iTunes is completely supported.  

One of my favourite features of iTunes is iTunes Match.   I've got access to my entire music library from that magical cloud without having to store everything I 'may' want to listen to on the iPhone, or I can pull the music down on other computers.  Also since I have spotify going, I rarely pull stuff down anyway so I'm probably wasting money on one of those subscriptions.

I suppose this is  a bit long winded for this topic, but it may make a few things a smudge clearer.

From my experience trying to using itunes in the past and assisting a friend more recently, it certainly didn't operate like that. Especially with SHN or FLAC files, which make up the majority of my collection. Perhaps it's just me, though I don't consider myself technologically challenged. But even the mp3s I've EAC'd from my studio recordings and custom tagged would get extra info added to the tags or had my own info rearranged. No hate, it simply doesn't suit my needs in the fashion I prefer. That's been my main issue ever since trying it out almost a decade ago.

[edited]

Removed long winded scotch & herb laden rambling. Liquor in the afternoon, what can I say....

Edited by Esau.