LUCY IN THE SKY with warren h [Eek!]

HELP

SLIP with warren

SPACE

LOVELIGHT>

SLIP

FRANKLINS TOWER all of them [Roll Eyes]

ENCORES> G.D.T.R.F.B>N.F.A. [Razz]

APPARENTLY WARREN WAS ON FIRE CAN'T WAIT TO BURN THAT ONE HARD TO GET INTO THE SHOW LOCAL HEAD GOT KICKED OUT FOR SMOKING THE DIGGITY

Here is a review by Blair Jackson:

OK, let's give this a shot...

Like I said, line getting in was ridiculouly long. I got there about 7:20, tickets in hand, and didn't get in for an hour! Fortunately, Regan and I ran into our buddy Len Dell'Amico (the Dead's former video director) and his wife Laura in line, so we had a good ol'schmooze waiting on market street. Usual craziness around the street--the strip parlor not doing much business this night. Nice weather; not too cold.

Got in, found our seats, row C in balcony one (not the "loge"), "dead" center; excellent. After Hunter's set, there was a break of maybe just 20 minutes or so and then The Dead came on--although actually, on the first couple of songs, only Chimenti was there on the keys; Rob was norwhere to be seen--maybe practicing his bass backstage for his next Ratdog gigs? ;-) The opening noodle was brief and flowed nicely into "Hell in a Bucket," which was really powerfully done. I was struck by a couple of things. One, from the first notes, I could hear Jimmy better than I could at either Kaiser or the Oakland Coliseum in December, when his parts seemed to swim in and out of the mix and frankly left me wanting quite often. Second, and this should be obvious, Phil adds so much to the bottom end of that song that, bless his heart, Rob Wasserman cannot. The last time I'd seen "Hell in a Bucket" was with Ratdog at the Greek whenever that was, and it was pretty limp. But this had the big crunch that the song needs, and Bobby was in the driver's seat the whole time. (Did have a lyric space-out in there; on "Lazy Lightning," too.)Instead of ending the song with the big bomb, it sort of kept drifting away into another a jam which eventually settled into "Iko," always a rousing, celebratory good time, with Mickey hamming it up and directing the call-and-response, and lots of jamming in between the verses. Jeff was excellent on piano and organ solos and Jimmy varied his attacks from speedy bursts of short notes, to longer, more nuanced lines. Can't recall how they got to "Lazy Lightning" but know that they jammed it WAY out, to the point where they were no longer even remotely tethered to the song by the time they found their way to the "Supplication."

Then came Sammy Hagar, the first of the guests, and he ripped through a version of "Loose Lucy" that was absolutely perfect. What a rock star: he's got the moves; he's the phrasing. He belted it out with such joy and such conviction, pumping his fists and dancing around between verses, grinning the whole time; the crowd helping him the "yeah's" and the "Thank you for a real good time!" Totally cool and exactly the right song choice for Sammy. Then some more jamming as Warren came out and plugged in right next to Jimmy, and ouit drifted Joan Osborne, lookin' a bit like a girl you'd see floating around the parking lot of a Dead show with her finger in the air looking for a muracle ticket (jeans, some sort of peasant/ethnic blouse, curls flowing to her shoulder, dancin' the easy hippy-hippy shake). If I remember correctly, Joan sang the first verse, there was a really hot jam and then Warren sang the second verse and maybe the third verse, too. I dunno. I was hopoing for a bit more vocal fireworks from the team of Osborne and Haynes, but they mostly sang solo, without much interaction. But there was some great interplay between Jimmy and Warren and Bobby, and Phil was really leaning into this one, too. During one of the instrumental breaks, Joan sort of wandered around the perimeter of the stage doing a little dance and occasionally bending down, picking up a rose (handed out to all the ladies as they entered) and throwing a shower of petals up in the air (always right on the beat, of course); a nice touch, not too showy. Then Warren left and Joan belted out "Casey Jones" which, like the version at the first Kaiser show, really got a locomotive motion happening at the end--very exciting.

Archived