Jambands.ca

tech problem,help,please

c-towns

So I'm splitting DSL with the landlord, and he's got the router downstairs, during prime times my internet keeps diconnecting out of the blue. I can get back on by disabling and enabling the connection a bunch of times but then the net goes right back down, it seems like every 5 minutes.help.

you guys should each assign yourselves a static ip. wandering ip's on a router during high traffic often have collisions....assign one computer to be 192.168.1.21 and the other to be 192.18.1.22.

because you are behind a router you will be passive unless you use port forwarding to open ports...this is handy for ftp and direct connect for sure...

I don't think collisions would be the problem. Ethernet (those phone type cables you're connecting with) is a collision-based topology. In other words, it's built to handle collisions - they are expected.

What are you using to share the line? You've got your DSL router that the phone company provided right? Then what? A switch or hub behind it? Is your landlord experiencing the same problems? How long is the cable that you're using to connect? Have you tried a different one? Give us some more information and I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

PS: DSL sucks. [Wink]

What are you using to share the line? You've got your DSL router that the phone company provided right? Then what? A switch or hub behind it? Is your landlord experiencing the same problems? How long is the cable that you're using to connect? Have you tried a different one? Give us some more information and I'm sure we can help you figure it out.

I'll try and see what i can answer here;

The phone company didn't supply the router, the landlord got it somewhere, as far as I know the internet goes into the router then splits to my comp and his comp (not 100% clear) Haven't been able to ask the landlord yet (will tonight) the cable we are using is about 30 ft long and it runs outside (we could get away with 15ft) And we haven't tried another one yet. So far DSL does suck, cable isn't an option seeing as the tv kind seems to be free right now.

Thanks for the help so far, maybe some one would be willing to walk me through via a phone call tonight, if there'ssomeone out there who thinks they may be able to help me that way, I am severely computer stupid when it comes to troubleshooting and well most anything to do with computers.

Archived