Jambands.ca

Gilles Peterson in Toronto on Friday

DevO

-

MOVEMENT WORLDWIDE SESSION

Friday, March 12

Gilles Peterson (Worldwide, BBC Radio 1, London)

+ John Kong, Jason Palma, Nav & Aki

Roxy Blu - 12 Brant St.

$15 in advance

Tickets available at Play De Record, Cosmos, Soundscapes, Black Market, Rotate This, Vice, Kops.

---------------------------------------------------------

Click here to check out Peterson's webpage and listen to some of his sets. I'm listening to one right now and its pretty awesome!

yo KC!

yeah, i hate "clubbin" but I find this music to be the most infectuous and dance-inducing and good-time-provoking of all! theres nothing like getting down to a great funk DJ and the different crowd that I find attends these shows is a nice change-up from who I usually see out. When the music is great and everyone is right into it, differences get set aside and I don't care if you're in bare feet or wearing stilletos (sp), getting down is the main thing!

I've never heard of the night that you mentioned but I'm gonna look into it. I guess its in Toronto eh? Are you going to this Peterson gig? Did you see that show last year with PB Wolf, Madlib and Egon? (awesome night)

Hey Kev-O good call on the Gilles, if yer into that scene/music you should also check out the Turnrning Point parties held at The Gladstone Hotel every couple months. I think the next one is this Sat or the next. A Man Called Warwick puts them on. As far a "Clubin" goes, these parties are the Illest. Lots of dancing, lots of ladies and most importantly lots of killer records.

Definately check out Sharon Jones and The Dap-Kings. Lee's Palace:April 23rd, PJC: April 24th

Also check out www.soulstrut.com

Sorry, If you know all this info already.

Unfortunately, I usually can't make it to any of those parties because I work weekends. One night this winter I did make it to one of those Turning Point parties at the Gladstone and I danced my ass off. I had heard barely any of the songs they were playing but every one was absolute dope. These guys truly crate dig. That night the featured DJ was some Brit named Miles who had gone to Guyana (not sure if that's how you spell the name of the country that gave birth to Fela Kuti) and dug all these afrobeat records out of there and made some killer comp CD.

Anyway John Kong, Jason Palma, A Man Called Warwick and yes, even The Quartertones have all played Pepper Jack's. My friend Ron Eazy started his own Hamilton version of these parties called Pushin' Boundaries. We'd bring in these DJ's from T.O. to play for us and whoever was either lucky or brave enough to take a chance on our word that the music would be like nothing they'd ever heard before, and, depending on the DJ, may never hear again. Some of those parties had gone off really well some not so good as far as turnout, but always a good vibe to the night. We were supposed to have one this Saturday but Ron had to cancel it due to school.

There is a friend of mine named Kojo spinnig his records this Sat. at PJC, won't be a party, but will be some cool tunes and free. Ever heard of Jon Sikich? He's the Hamilton Gilles.

Archived