Jambands.ca

Posting memories

doubleB

With the death of the Whipping Post so close at hand, I have been reflecting on the many fond memories I have of this closet of a bar.

So many nights I have spent there, to see it go is like losing a piece of myself. The healing process will begin with remembering all the things that make the Post so special. What follows is a list of some of my favorite memories ....... I invite you all to post yours.

The weekly whippings..... were an easy habit to get into, and have been a hard habit to break. I think I will miss this routine most of all. I remeber my first Tuesday.... I think there might have been 2 other people in the bar that night. I remeber talking to Nero Dave that night..... I think I came off like a prick, but Dave humoured me and I just haven't gone away since.

Lance..... have you ever met a character like this guy before? I will miss the jingle of his spurs as he nerotically fusses with the lights and smoke....

Whitey..... best air guitarist EVER!!!

The night we had an appearance by the one armed man and the lesbian strippers.... if you were there, you know what I mean..... I wish I saw the strippers on the street as often as I saw the one armed man

The night this crazy, old, very drunk frenchman strolled in and sat beside me. He bought me a beer then just danced his ass off.... then when he was done, he gave me a Kit Kat? Only at the Post.

My first bar job as the Nero doorman..... Hey Jackass! $3 please......

My absolute favorite thing about the post is that it is such an small venue, that you can't help but get to know everyone. Never before have I made so many friends with so little effort. I love how welcome you feel when you walk in and see familiar faces. Cheers to all of you who have spent a setbreak on the roof with me. I know we will all still see eachother, but there was something special about the Post.

All these things will be on my mind tomorrow as I watch Nero whip it up one final time. I will miss the post very much, but the impact it has had on me and my life will be felt forever

BB

I think we'll be laughing at the nites Lance didn't show up. A real bummer at the time, but the one time, near the end of the summer we all went downstairs and hung out on the "patio", while the "talent" night blared out college-kid-crap music (no offense to all you college kids out there- unless you like crappy music wink.gif" border="0).

But yes, the lesbian strippers will always stick in my mind. grin.gif" border="0

I remember back in Dec '99, the Real Gone Daddies had a gig at the Whipping Post. Lance didn't show up, so we moved the show downstairs to Friends and Company. It was very kind of the folks at F&C to let us set up and play there. The show MUST go on!

My first time at the Whipping Post was in '93. I used to go to Mighty Popo's wed night jams every week. The best blues jams on Ottawa! Popo made sure that everyone felt comfortable and at home.

One of my all-time favourite Whipping Post memories, other than the ones already mentioned by Brad is Shane's 19th birthday bash.

Well ok, it wasn;t much of a bash. Shane, Staples, and myself went out with the goal of getting shane hammered. We blazed a fatty in front of Zaphods, got way too buzzed and went inside and saw some horrible band that I don't recall the name of. We took in the disco dance party for a while and then headed over to the post around one. When we got there we were unpleasantly surprised with a buch of lance's high school buddys, doing classic rock covers rather poorly. There were two other people in the audience. Lance proceded to pour us whisky shots for about an hour and then Staples got the prarie fires happening for shane. After about four prarie fires shane steped out for some air. He returned about five minutes later stating that he had to leave right away. We opened the door, and were shocked and horrified to see a slip and slide carpet of vomit leading down the stairs into a giant pile. There was soo much of it, I swear you could make three shanes out it.

ahh....

good times at the post

Archived