Jambands.ca

The New Deal

M

One of my clients (Amazon.ca) had a launch party on Tuesday at a bar/club in Downtown T.O. They were looking for a band to play and my V.P. and I suggested The New Deal.

It was a good show, but kind of surreal at the same time. I was wondering how the show would come across as there was only background music on before they started playing; not too sure whether the sound of a live band would assimilate well with the schmoozing conversation rampant throughout the room.

It was a treat to see the band in a small venue. Last time I saw them in a small room was the surprise show at Ted's Wrecking Yard last summer. Since then, I've seen them at the Palais Royale and the Opera House, but have left early both times due to my waning attention span. Seeing the New Deal in a vast room defeats the purpose for me. I get the most out of them in a small venue... being able to see the expressions on their faces as they interact with each other; noting how the slightest change in expression (a smirk, a nod of the head, a raised eyebrow) can lead to crazy changes, breaks, accelerated tempos.

And, as always, there's the struggle I continually face when seeing this band... if I'm not watching them close up, I find the novelty of the music they produce decreases. I forget that these are actual musicians with live instruments sweating, straining, improvising, creating this sound rather than a DJ spinning vinyl.

It felt as though The New Deal were holding back at the start of their show on Tuesday. Not surprising, given the suits milling about the room. However, by the end of the show, the band was hot. Those left in the room were listening with interest, but it obviously wasn't the gung-ho crowd they've become used to. I think they found the subdued interest a sharp contrast to their regular touring crowd and rather humourous. I'm guessing it must also have been a bit of an ego check.

Question: what do people here think about bands playing corporate functions? Do you think its selling out or do you think its increasing a band's exposure to people who might not usually hear them? Do you think it is more acceptable for a band to play a corporate function if they are somehow affiliated with the corporation? (ie: Amazon.ca does distribute The New Deal's music).

bands playing corporate functions? when your in a band thats full time touring, corporate functions are a bonus because mostly the people aren't into it there not musicans so you get a good paying gig and you take it eazy short set eazy songs you have to go all out lots of free beer it great and very very far from selling out. and your in a room with people that have more then 5 bucks in there pocket. [big Grin][big Grin]

i think playing corporate functions is fine as long s you don't mind an audience of people not quite as into you as your fans.

album sales net bands a very small amount of revenue so playing shows is the best way tyo keep bills flowing well. i could stand to play all the time. it's a bonus to get paid.

I say more power to them. It's near impossible to make a living as a musician in Canada. As long as a band can morally justify a gig to itself, then it's fine.

Hopefully Happy Dan's Patchouli Collective 9 piece jam extravaganza will take this to heart and avoid playing at the next McDonald's grand opening.

Hi Mary!

Nice to meet you at Frontier Town. You are one positive, high energy person!

I think it is perfectly fine for a band to play a corporate gig, as long as they know what it is about ahead of time. Lots of people that work for companies dig music ... I'd love it if I went to a work party function and a great band was playing. If the band knows what they are agreeing to, and agree to it, it is perfectly fine.

It may be a drag for a band if they were booked into such a gig not knowing what it was about. I know some bands/musicians do not like to play gigs where the band is not the focal point of the evening. And yes, some bands may have a hard time playing at certain corporate functions, because of personal ethics.

But if the band wants to play ... go for it, imho!!!

Peace, Mark