Jambands.ca

Evolve Rain Check

snarfmaster C

i was disappointed abuot missing sunday's line up too. the fact that it was clear skies by midday was frustrating.

sunday morning i headed down to the vending and mainstage area and was a little surprised at what a mess had been made by the partying the night before combined with the chaos of the storm - i don't blame the evolve coordinators for being overwhelmed by the cleanup and extra work required, but i think with a small plea for extra help and a little organization things could have been up and running no problem.

i think where things fell apart was the hungover folks waking up in puddles- clothes, beds, everything soaked.... by the time i was up the area around me was half cleared of tents. i guess a lot of the crowd had had their share of partying and more music wan't as important as getting home and drying off - which is fair enough, but i do agree that it was pretty disappointing that things shut down the way they did.

maybe if more people had chosen to come together to help to get things going vs. abandoning the scene the show would have gone on

or maybe just a more solid set-up to begin with i guess...

i learned my lesson, though - next year, i bring a tarp

Hey Luke,

As far as Sunday goes for me and my group, we had pretty much planned on leaving earlier than later anyway. When we woke up around 9 and it was pouring, cold and windy (with my clothes soaked inside the tent)- we just packed up and left. We were only planning on sitting through Hot Toddys set anyway- so I was too bummed. Just cold and wet..... By the way did I mention I was cold and wet.

Now as far as the organizers go- Jimmy and Joe singlehandedly put a ton of work into the festival, and were probably under the gun to make a snap decision. The problem of course with rain isn't just when it is falling, but until everything dries up there is a chance of a power outage or worse (see Spinal Tap). Sure the stage might have been more sturdy, but with a new site this year everything was built from the ground up. I was hoping that if the festival is there again, they can build upon what they started this year.

As for the mess, I personally was a little put off on Saturday night by around 2 as the place was littered heavily. I did my bit and picked up quite a bit of junk, and left my campsite spotless, but there was just too much. I thought there could have been more garbage cans, or like a lot of places I have been they could have given each car a garbage bag at the security check. Hindsight is always 20/20.

I know that the guys were very overwhelmed this summer, having also been involved in the concert at the G8 summit in Kannanaskis. I give them a world of respect for doing as well as they did.

Hopefully next year fans can see the whole lineup, and the weather cooperates. And tell your neighbour to pitch in and help just a little with the cleanup, if we all did our part it wouldn't be that hard.

One thing is for sure, I will be there with bells on!! Can't wait to see you all again.....

Sean

Didn't get any feedback on what people thought about Evolve getting rained out. I guess Chris and Kate aren't all that important to people on this board but I fucking hated having to miss them. The whole ride back I was so pissed that happened. I mean a storm is a storm and it was a bad one but if the stage was secured better it might not have needed to come to it. That stage was about as waterproof as a K Way. I just really felt like the whole scene was gaining so much ground and that alot of the headway was lost because we were too big chumps to have things well organized. It's not like Berkfest, High Sierra, Gathering etc. get rained out and cancelled, it rains but they're prepared for it. What would heads in the states say if a stellar line-up of Sunday afternoon bands was slated for the Gathering and they raved all night then just shut 'er down. People would be livid, pissed and feel ripped off. Exactly.

I take those points to heart. Sean your point makes alot of sense. Still I don't see why the decision needed to have been made then. At say 8:00 in the morning. I don't know that the DJ's were cut short at all. I mean it had relatively cleared up by 10 or 11 and the gear was all still there etc. Admittedly everything was in shambles. The garbage was a shame. Obviously more trash cans were needed as were perhaps trash bags as you came in at the gate. I just think it could have still gone on with a later start. The drive to Halifax slayed me. It was perfect only a few hours later.