Jambands.ca

Guelph - Music City? - not exactly - Help me get it back.

Deeps

Guelph has claimed to be music city.

Somewhere on some document it states this. Not sure where, but word o mouth is so extensive I do believe this is a city council declaration that is on the books (I'll dig it up).

********** Guelph Efforts to Discourage Music Playing, Watching, and Production *************

[color:blue]1. One of, if not the only, cities in Ontario with a 24 hr noise by-law.

2. A bylaw that requires that patios close by 11pm and strictly prevents the building of new patios.

3. Postering laws that have been ramped up in recent days that leave 4 places in the entire city where posters may be put....2 of which require a permit.

Recently I have heard of 2 studios having to close their doors due to the noise by-law. Young guys who are brave enough to venture on their own and have a go of it in the music industry recording and producing artists are being discouraged and pushed away.

Gut wrenching anti-culture at its finest.

I know a number of young bands who had to stop practicing as a result of this noise policing as well.

[color:purple]I think people are having a hard time hearing what Nick and Jessica are saying due to song writing.

Anyway, the point is that I'm not taking this sitting down. I moved from Mississauga specifically because of anti-culture garbage and pandering to soccer mom "needs".

I am looking to the people of the board for advice on how to get properly involved. I want to mobilize a group to challenge this awful trend in my favourite city. I begin this thread as a Jambands for free musicianship and promotion of culture in Guelph.

Please help me by posting information, support, advice and anything you find pertinent.

Cheers

Deeps

Put together some well written petitions if you can pin-point a couple of critical issues.

I think you'll find support from communities that would surprise you (i.e. the occasional soccer mom). Take it everywhere and talk to people.

Once you've got a load of support - take it to city hall. Agitate agitate agitate.

Put together some awareness raising shows - A "Bring the Music Back" day. Local bands playing a benefit show somewhere with high visibility...

Hello elected officials? City councilors are your best bet. Talk to your local councilor and see what can be done. Petitions can work, but getting someone who has a say in the creation of your local municipal by-laws would be the place to start. Knowledge is power, learn the exact details of the laws and find people who would be sympathetic to changing them. Point out the benfits of changing them (more $?) and the deficiencies of having them remain. Unless Guelph is run by a bunch of up-tight do-gooders who hate "fun" and "music", you can effect change.

Or better, next election, press those running to accept changes.

Or even better ELECT ONE OF YOUR OWN.

Personally, and I may be alone here, I don't think that those 3 issues that you listed are a very big deal.

What do patios have to do with anything?? A few summer gigs?

Who opens a studio that isn't sound proof? Isn't that why its a studio??

I have yet see proof on how effective posters really are (especially for smaller independant bands who rely on word of mouth for promotion); the lack of ragged posters on every corner and all the usual big corporate advertising is one of my favourite things about Guelph.

As for "I think people are having a hard time hearing what Nick and Jessica are saying due to song writing", should people be forced to listen to each and every garage band hack through learning how to play their instruments?? I'm not talking about your band here Deeps, obviously, and maybe I'm playing devil's advocate a bit, but really I think that "gut wrenching anti-culture at its finest" is not the best way to describe Guelph.

Just my humble opinion.

Edited by Guest

Exactly the criticsm I'm looking for.

Patios make people come out on the street and help downtown businesses thrive.

People need to mingle and meet. Families need a place to go dowtown that isn't just a bar.

Look what the Market in Ottawa does for the culture there?

I agree that postering can get things ugly downtown, but it's a great way to get a business going for little expense. 4 areas? Seems a little conservative don't you think?

Well put on the studio front, but a person's home is their castle and not being able to jam without paying for it at some impersonal rental space is so impractical and so creatively stifling to an artist it pretty much would shut it all down for a young band.

Devil's advocate indeedage, but much appreciated.

Look what the Market in Ottawa does for the culture there?

Actually, while the Byward Market itself (and in and of itself) is a good thing, a lot of the patios and late-night clubs really bother residents nearby (and residents who moved in well before the clubs moved in). There are places in Toronto, too, where late-night (like 2am and 3am) noise is a serious problem (as in 100db on a fifth floor balcony), and not just from the clubs: late-night patrons often have the party spill out onto the street, where people yell, argue, whoop it up, blast their car stereos, etc.

No, I'm not saying that Guelph is in a similar situation, it's just that the needs of the residents must be taken into account with something like this.

Aloha,

Brad