Jambands.ca

Raptors drop season opener

The Chameleon

[color:red]The Raps looked ugly last nigt. Bosh especially he looked tired and rusty. Let's hope they get one back next time. I can't handle anothe 1-15 start, and niether can the Raptors.

nets110106_13.jpg

-------------------------------

Raptors Drop Opener

November 1, 2006

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- The New Jersey Nets had the perfect answer for the Toronto Raptors' new run-and-gun game: Jason Kidd and Vince Carter.

Kidd had 14 points, 10 assists and 10 rebounds for his 76th career triple-double, Carter added 25 points and 11 rebounds, and the Nets beat the Raptors 102-92 on Wednesday night.

Kidd stole the show in the final quarter with eight points, four assists and four rebounds. The point guard had four points and three assists in a quarter-opening, 18-8 spurt that gave New Jersey a 92-78 lead in what had been a closely contested contest.

Richard Jefferson, the other member of the Nets' big three, added 16 points, while Nenad Krstic and Bostjan Nachbar had 14 points apiece.

Anthony Parker, the free agent signed after playing in Israel, had 22 points to lead the Raptors, who are trying to transform themselves into the Phoenix Suns of the north. T.J. Ford, who was acquired in a trade with Milwaukee, added 19 points and seven assists. Chris Bosh had 14 points on a terrible 5-for-13 shooting night during which he was called for five fouls.

The game also marked the NBA debuts of two of the Raptors' highly publicized European imports, No. 1 overall draft pick Andrea Bargnani of Italy and free agent forward Jorge Garbajosa of Spain. Neither was very impressive.

Bargnani played just under nine foul-plagued minutes, collecting more fouls (3) than points (2). The 21-year-old centre was 1-of-3 from the field with a delay-of-game warning.

Garbajosa played 20 minutes, but only had two points on 1-of-8 shooting and five rebounds.

Carter helped the Nets take the lead for good late in the third quarter, handing out three assists in a late 8-2 spurt that put New Jersey ahead 74-70.

Jefferson started the fourth quarter with a driving basket and Kidd followed two free throws by Parker with a pair of jump shots for an 80-72 lead.

After Toronto got within 80-76, Kidd led an 11-2 spurt by setting up two baskets by Nachbar _ one a three-pointer_ and one by Jason Collins. Carter added a three-pointer in the run and Jefferson made a free throw, also set up by a pass from Kidd.

Notes: Nets F Clifford Robinson missed the game, serving part of his five-game suspension for violating the NBA drag policy during the playoffs. He will also miss Friday at Miami. ... Seven Italian reporters and three TV crews were on hand for Bargnani's debut. The game was broadcast live to Italy. Four Spanish reporters and two TV crews were present for Garbajosa's debut. ... The officiating crew called three carries in the game and one double dribble. ... Nets first-round draft pick Marcus Williams had seven points.

Edited by Guest

80-76 at one point the fourth? That's not too ugly. Atleast it was close, and Kidd is a lights out player when he's healthy... home opener for the Nets... I mean it's too bad the Raps won't go undefeated this year, but why talk about 1-15?... in the preseason they were winning games in the fourth, if they stay the course they'll do fine.

SS, its best to ignore Chameleons talk of the apocolypse as best you can. He's one of those dudes that stands on street corners and demands attention with his blow horn.

I am niether my good friends. I am a basketball lover that has been heartbroken/burned by the Raptors mismanagement, bad trades, and brutal defense.

Make no mistake I want to see them win. I do. What you are hearing is the rantings of a scarred and scared Raptor fan.

Like a beaten child I fear the worst everytime a hand is raised. In this situation the raised hand is a loss.

I agree winning against the nets in a home opener with a all new team is a tough go. And they did hang tough for parts of the game. And yes Booche I also like the new direction, as long as it goes somewhere.

I'm not trying to be negative, I'm just so gunshy at this point.

It wasn't the greatest game but you can take solace in a few things. One, Bosh was obviously not at his best so the fact that it was close until the 4th is good. Another good thing was that Parker was wicked. I believe he shot at least 50 percent and had 22 points and a couple boards/assists. He played great. TJ Ford is exactly as advertised, a pass-first point guard who las night just didn't have too many people to pass it to. Another "good" thing was that Jorge Garbajosa was terrible. The guy can shoot and there is no way he goes 1-8 again. If he had knocked down a couple of those threes that he clanked around then the game would've been a different story.

Although Bargnani and Rasho looked pretty bad. Especially Rasho, he just looked lost on offense.

The game was their to take given the Nets home "field" stands were half empty and Vince wasn't into the game early on - until the 4th quarter. Bosh's rusty play and the Raps continual love affair with the three sunk them in the fourth. There's no way this team will be consistantly cold shooting-wise this year.

The game was their to take given the Nets home "field" stands were half empty and Vince wasn't into the game early on - until the 4th quarter. Bosh's rusty play and the Raps continual love affair with the three sunk them in the fourth. There's no way this team will be consistantly cold shooting-wise this year.

Let's hope not given Sam Mitchell's 100 shot attempt per game, offensive strategy.

Edited by Guest

I think the fact they wanna put up a lot of shots is a good thing. I think as a team they shot something like 38 percent but still managed to score 92. Thats the beauty of hoisting up lots of shots.

Taking high percentage shots is the important thing - and I think the Raptors have the moxy this year to take high percentage shots. Unlike last year where Mike James continually hoisted up forty 30 footers per game in double-coverage. The only one who liked seeing that other than James, was Chameleon.

I think the fact they wanna put up a lot of shots is a good thing. I think as a team they shot something like 38 percent but still managed to score 92. Thats the beauty of hoisting up lots of shots.

Taking high percentage shots is the important thing - and I think the Raptors have the moxy this year to take high percentage shots. Unlike last year where Mike James continually hoisted up forty 30 footers per game in double-coverage. The only one who liked seeing that other than James' date=' was Chameleon.[/quote']

Why do you assume I have a love affair with Mike James?

I don't. I though he was OK but a ball hog, and took bad shots as youi indicated. I have no love for James.

I did like Rafer Alston though despite the meltdown.

I still say it all went south when the traded JYD.

I will assume groaning and laughing will insue Jaimoe

Edited by Guest

i think the Raptors are gonna have an easier time with the easier teams, but a frustrating time with most of the good teams... at least until they start getting some more chemistry.

our 1st unit has been pretty productive but our 2nd unit has been inconsistent at best and plain awful on defense.

basically, if the opponent can get the Raps to slow the game down and half to play in half-court sets, then we're doomed. it's all about executing the run 'n gun offense.