Jambands.ca

Open Jam Nights at Cafe Dekcuf

bradm

There's a news submission over at JamHub about Cafe Dekcuf turning Tuesday nights (9pm - 1am) into open jam night! Previously, Wednesdays were open stage (mostly aimed at solo artists), with Tuesdays being open band stage. Now, it's open season! Bring your instrument, sign up, tune up, step, rip up!

And the kicker is that it's hosted by Al Jee and Spagstar. Al, for those of you who don't know him, is the Jedi Sax Player of Ferriswheeler, and a star rapper (and other things, I'm sure...) to boot.

I plan on being there, guitar in hand, tomorrow night. If you play anything or even just sing, come out and play or sing; if you don't play or sing, come out and watch.

Aloha,

Brad

Oh, man, that was fun. Folks, I think we've got a new Tuesday night ritualistic occurrence*. I haven't played so much, or so intensely, in weeks. This was a blast; Spagstar is insane fun, and who knew Al could play guitar so well? (Beyond who knew he could rap so well, some of which he did behind some of my playing! We got funkee, Al got saxee, and the next thing I know, I'm hearing Cypress Hill...)

Aloha,

Brad

* Unfortunately, I'll be in Toronto the next few weeks, but wait until January. [big Grin]

Thanks, guys; being on stage with you was the icing on the cake for me.

Apparently Spagstar is doing a gig at Dekcuf on Saturday, Dec. 21, with Lowtide and Maintaintheta; 10pm start, $5 at the door. I'll be in Toronto recovering from tomorrow night and Nero, otherwise I'd be there.

Aloha,

Brad

• 3 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by rainmakerrtv:

Sadly, no, I am just a vocalist, although I am currently starting to learn to play my acoustic axe. I hope the jam nights are open to those who also just wish to watch and enjoy the music.

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

Absolutely they are! (And my question was not intended in any way to be exclusive; in fact, I think an open jam that only has players is a failure; for Open Jam Night to succeed, we've got to convince the club it's in their [monetary] interest to keep it on, which requires a good supply of patrons, and I don't think musicians alone would be enough.) As a vocalist and beginning guitar player, you might also want to show up on Wednesdays, which is singer/songwriter open mic night.

Aloha,

Brad

quote:

Originally posted by bradm:

Absolutely they are! (And my question was not intended in any way to be exclusive; in fact, I think an open jam that only has players is a
failure
; for Open Jam Night to succeed, we've got to convince the club it's in their [monetary] interest to keep it on, which requires a good supply of patrons, and I don't think musicians alone would be enough.) As a vocalist and beginning guitar player, you might also want to show up on Wednesdays, which is singer/songwriter open mic night.

Aloha,

Brad

I didn't think it would be closed to any but players, but I got all paranoid all of a sudden [smile] I do hope to make it some time to Wednesday night as well ... as my guitar lessons will be starting on Wednesday night, that will mean I will either be nicely warmed up to play on the open stage or , alternately, be too worn out to play anything, we'll just see how it goes [Wink] I hope this isn't just a songwriter's stage, while I have written a few (not especially good) songs in the distant past, I really see myself more as a singer/interpreter these days. I will, however, try to keep my choices interesting, instead of, I dunno, yetanother rendition of Uncle John's Band or Blowin' In The Wind [Wink] I have an idea for an acoustic rendition of an obscure old prog rock epic that I think could be knockout, here's hoping that I'll be able to actually play it [big Grin]

Cheers,

Rob Not Bob

NP : King Crimson - Collectors Club Volume 16 : Live In Berkely, CA, August 13, 1982

Once again, it was a fun night. A lot of players, a lot of non-players, a variety of music (straight blues, called-out rock chord progressions, funk, rap, made-up-stuff, etc.), a good quality of music, and enough overall good feeling and support to make me hopeful that this will be an ongoing thing.

C'mon out next week, folks. As an added bonus to those of you, like me, who have to get up the next morning, the music starts early (like 9pm) and ends pretty early, too (ca. midnight).

Aloha,

Brad

Archived