Jambands.ca

help prevent 2500 square kms of Algonquin from being logged

paisley

If you want to make a difference, I agree with the above posters that:

a) We (city dwellers who gobble up lumber as fast as they can cut it) must reduce our consumption (ie. no more shitty McMansion subdivisions!)

B) Find alternatives to wood (Hemp IS a most remarkable plant with infinite possibilities)

I strongly agree with those methods of change too

reason I got heated on the discussion is that one thing I did retain while studying forestry is that it doesn't take much at all to upset an ecosystem... I love hiking and was sadly suprised to hear how damaging simple foot paths are to forests on the whole... there's a fine line between a natural forest turning into a park... to preserve any old growth you have to just leave it alone... but then again maybe the damage is already done... I'm not an authority on Algonquin, just like it when I end up in it

anywho, this thread is now locked from my mind... back to work!

I remember my smarter seeming forestry instructors felt logging further north was better for the overall picture for some reason or other...

Not sure I can get my head around that sorta thinking. The more logging that occurs in the north the worse off things get in my opinion.

From my knowledge and expirence of canoeing in the north (north of Cochrane), the more north you go the more fragile the eco-systems can be in some cases, smaller (and lesser) trees, unique wildlife that can't survive in the south or the greater north. eg: Woodland caribou which were re-introduced in 96 around superior after hunting and logging (clearcutting) on crownland drove them away for years.

Anyway, like I said, I don't wanna see the old growth go thats for sure. Some of my favourite spots in Algonquin (Sunbeam Lake and Burnt Island to mention two) has some amazing old growth around it, but at the same time I really enjoy the crownland just one hour northwest Algonquin where I go almost every summer camping and canoeing (place I went for that 7 week camp/canoe trip). I'd much rather see selective controlled logging then the clear cutting of some crownland.

I remember my smarter seeming forestry instructors felt logging further north was better for the overall picture for some reason or other...

Not sure I can get my head around that sorta thinking. The more logging that occurs in the north the worse off things get in my opinion.

From my knowledge and expirence of canoeing in the north (north of Cochrane)' date=' the more north you go the more fragile the eco-systems can be in some cases, smaller (and lesser) trees, unique wildlife that can't survive in the south or the greater north. eg: Woodland caribou which were re-introduced in 96 around superior after logging (clearcutting) on crownland drove them away for years.

Anyway, like I said, I don't wanna see the old growth go thats for sure. My favourite spot in Algonquin (Sunbeam Lake) has some amazing old growth around it, but at the same time I really enjoy the crownland just one hour northwest Algonquin where I go almost every summer camping and canoeing (place I went for that 7 week camp/canoe trip). I'd much rather see selective controlled logging then the clear cutting of some crownland.[/quote']

as I remember it was told nothing in southern Ontario is fully natural southern Ontario forest anymore, just remnants ("mutt forest" my one instructor called it) multitudes of species have dissappeared... there's a pretty epic amount of extinct trees and foliage in this area, not to mention birds, animals, insects, algae, microbes

central ontario is a different type of forest and was in better shape but was nearing the breaking point (took forestry 20 years ago... wow... time...)

northern forests, while fragile are quite plentiful by comparison and could still weather a certain amount of logging without becoming extinct

that was then though... am sure things have changed in the past 20 years... likely if the forestry minded were looking north back then a lot of damage has been done since so is a good chance northern forests are in as precarious shape as the central forests

northern forests, while fragile are quite plentiful by comparison and could still weather a certain amount of logging without becoming extinct

Well, I guess I just look at it differently. I see less variety of tree species (mostly softwoods, which are in high demand) and with the more logging that occurs in the north the more the population grows there and we all know what happens after that - more green spaces cleared and wildlife driven out to accomadate the growing populations and industry, turning the natural untouched spaces into parks. Then there is also the aboriginal peoples in the north (first nations, Innu etc) who are still dependant on those areas for keeping up traditions and survival in many ways of their life.

I plan to eventually end up in the north (north of 60 that is) so I guess I have a different attachment or agenda (whatever). But, again, I'd much rather see controlled selective logging going on (everywhere, not just Algonquin) then the raping the north has taken and still takes.

[color:red][edit ot add]

Sorry bro, I misread the last part of your post, I see now you were explaing the reasoning of the teachers comments, not your opinions. So, I guess I see things differently then the teacher, perhaps not you. This of course is purely my own opinion.

Edited by Guest

no we see it the same bro... lived in Sault Ste Marie for a year and love the north beyond words (minus the black flies)... those are my instructors words I conveyed (sort of thing that chased me out of the program bummed out as hell, that and being told finishing college forestry and trying to make changes in the industry would get me shipped off to timbuktu counting geese migrations)

if I was steering the ship would aim that no natural habitat would be pushed to extinction... wood and pulp would cost 10 times what it does now no matter what region it came from (not to mention what I'd do to the drug laws... bwahahaha)

am not sure how much allowing selective logging in Algonquin would prevent clear cuts in the north... just would hate to see the last of the original forest in Algonquin disappear

edit to add: no worries at all my friend... all this talk has me itching for some bush partying out in the southern ontario "mutt" forest (I literally jumped out of my seat and was going for him when he called our forests that... lol)

have actually honed up my environmental knowledge/memories suprisingly over the last 24 hours so I'm not counting it as a loss =)

god knows I was born into this world to do a little more than just work in front of a computer on perfect sunny summer dayz... yarrr

Hey paisley how come you weren't at GTB last week? If you'd believe it, I actually enjoyed some of their brand new tunes.

was a buddy's birthday and he was playing at another bar same time as the bus, had promised I'd come see him play

hope the new songs were so "indie" you walked out with a new hairdo! (and had yet another new one by the time you got home ;) )