Jambands.ca

Pat Quinn is IN

Schwa.

The Canadian Press

EDMONTON - Pat Quinn is returning to the NHL bench. The 66-year-old has been named the new head coach of the Edmonton Oilers.

Quinn has been out of the league since being fired as coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs following the 2005-06 season.

He led the Canadian national team to gold at the world junior championship in Ottawa this year.

The Oilers have also named former Rangers coach Tom Renney and former longtime Oiler Kelly Buchberger to the coaching staff.

The Oilers will be the fifth NHL team coached by Quinn, who succeeds the fired Craig MacTavish. Quinn has 657 career wins in 1,318 games behind the bench with Philadelphia, Los Angeles, Vancouver and Toronto.

General manager Steve Tambellini said the team needed a fresh start behind the bench when he fired MacTavish on April 15.

The Oilers finished 11th in the Western Conference with a record of 38-35-9 for 85 points. It was the fifth time in the last seven seasons that they failed to reach the post-season. The notable exception was in 2006 when the Oilers lost to Carolina in Game 7 of the Stanley Cup final.

Yeah, I agree with Jaimoe. Good move by the Oil. Tom Renney too.

I gotta find out what the following refers to. Please elaborate.

Very interesting.

It's going to be very interesting to follow the Oilers next year.

I guess I should have just said cool.