Jambands.ca

Allen Woody video tribute

nibbler

The original Mule rocked. None of the post-Woody incarnations can touch the power of the orignal trio.

Very true. Although after seeing them recently I can safely say that the new incarnation is fantastic...best Rocking Horse I have ever seen. (out of the 15 or so I have seen)

The thing about Woody was that he was an adventurous and often punishing and agressive lead bassist - like he was channeling Berry Oakley (although Woody was a superiour musician). And Woody was every bit Haynes' equal and every bit his rival. The tension their respectful rivalry brought was indeed exciting. I saw it many times, and it was even there in the ABB.

The original Mule rocked. None of the post-Woody incarnations can touch the power of the orignal trio.

So true, bass + hot keyboards and harmonicas but still can't make up for the loss; though the present incarnation kicks serious ass!

Woody was a hilarious guy, had the good fortune to party with him a couple times.

I love the "new" Mule, but also love the old. Two different beasts each with bang for your concert buck. I so wish I could go to their tropical getaway in January to Negril :(

For some old school Mule, check out this great show:

http://welcometonow.wordpress.com/2009/07/28/old-school-texas-mule/

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xheeqs

govt-mule.jpg

Gov’t Mule ~ 9/22/96 ~ Caravan of Dreams ~ Fort Worth, TX

Grinnin’ In Your Face > Mule > Rocking Horse > Temporary Saint, Don’t Step On The Grass Sam, Birth Of The Mule, Thelonius Beck > Game Face, She Said, She Said, Gambler’s Roll, Kind Of Bird, Pygmy Twylyte > Blind Man In The Dark > Drums > Blind Man In The Dark, Presence Of The Lord, Just Got Paid > Who Do You Love? > Just Got Paid

Encore: Goin’ Out West > Gonna Send You Back To Georgia

Edited by Guest

Well, I met Woody at just kind of a glancing, but I didn’t really get to know him all that well back then. I know he was doing a bunch of stuff with Lynyrd Skynyrd and some of those boys and I had seen him play, but didn’t really see him much until he showed up to audition for The Allman Brothers Band years later. There were about 20 bass players that showed up – we invited about 5 and 20 showed up. (laughs) Allen Woody was the only one who showed up with his own amp. (laughs) You know, he brought his whole rig in a truck and I said, “Well, this guy’s serious. He’s really here to get this gig,†and he took it away from those other guys.

-- Dickey Betts

ABB & WSP paid tribute last night to Woody in Bethel, NY:

Pictures from the show: http://hudsonvalley.metromix.com/content_image/full/1424130/560/370

08/26/09 Bethel Woods Center For The Arts, Bethel, NY

The Allman Brothers Band with Widespread Panic

O: Let's Get The Show On The Road, Love Tractor, Pickin' Up The Pieces, Machine > Barstools And Dreamers, Party At Your Mama's House, Ribs And Whiskey, Greta, Papa's Home > Drums > Papa's Home*, Red Hot Mama**, Chainsaw City**, Imitation Leather Shoes

O: Don't Keep Me Wonderin', No One To Run With, End of the Line, Fourty-Four Blues***, Highway 61 Revisited****, Dreams, Soulshine, The Same Thing*****, Franklin's Tower******, Leave My Blues at Home > JaBuMa > Leave My Blues at Home, Jessica

E: Melissa, You Don't Love Me

* with Danny Louis on keyboard

** with Danny Louis on keyboard, Warren Haynes on guitar

*** with Bruce Katz on keyboard

**** with John 'Jojo' Herman on keyboard, John Bell on guitar, and Tony Coleman on drums

***** with Danny Louis on keyboard, Jay Collins on saxophone, and Tony Coleman on drums

****** with Danny Louis on keyboard, Jimmy Herring on guitar

[Warren Haynes dedicated the show to Allen Woody]

Edited by Guest