Jambands.ca

Bob Marley's Bluenose Connection

boiler

IT STARTED with a Wiki-bender. I was researching an unrelated project and, several hours later, wound up on the Wikipedia entry for Bob Marley’s Redemption Song. It made an astonishing claim: The legendary lyrics, "Emancipate yourself from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our mind," were born in Nova Scotia in a speech given by the pan-African leader Marcus Garvey.

Marley, linked to little old Nova Scotia? And what was Garvey doing here? I checked the source, but there wasn’t one. I YouTubed the video and watched the tired, dying star strum his guitar. He wrote the song in 1979, when cancer was taking over his body. It’s an extraordinary song. The Nova Scotia link was an extraordinary claim. I set about finding out the truth.

The whole story

Kudos also to a great link.

Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes shines some excellent light on blacks in Nova Scotia ... and, yes, it's as good a book as everyone says it is.

His Any Known Blood also has some black history of Oakville (and Toronto/Southern Ontario to a lesser extent)

Kudos also to a great link.

Lawrence Hill's The Book of Negroes shines some excellent light on blacks in Nova Scotia ... and, yes, it's as good a book as everyone says it is.

Funny, my mom just finished reading that and has been raving about it to anyone who will listen. I think I'll have to put that one on the list. (Thankfully I work in a book shop that I can use as my own personal library).

Nova Scotia's African heritage, as far back as the Underground Railroad to the razing of Africville and to the present is indeed pronounced. I'm pretty sure Halifax (and definitely Dartmouth, Cole Harbour, Eastern Passage) has the largest per capita African population in Canada. Also likely the largest Buddhist population per capita.