Jambands.ca

The Who - 40th Anniversiary 4CD LIVE AT LEEDS!

Kanada Kev

One of the best live albums ever. [color:purple]Now in it's 23rd release version is brought out with 2 full concerts from Feb 14+15, 1970. Are there any live bands out there that can touch this raw rock energy? Damn these would have been insane shows to be at:

http://bit.ly/hTlbCG

2010front.jpg

Live At Leeds (40th Anniversary Super-Deluxe Collector’s Edition) 4CD

Rushed out in 1970 as a way to bide time as the Who toiled away on their sequel to Tommy, Live at Leeds wasn’t intended to be the definitive Who live album and many collectors maintain that the band had better shows only available on bootlegs. But those shows weren’t easily available whereas Live at Leeds was, and even if this show may not have been the absolute best, it’s so damn close to it that it would be impossible for anybody but aficionados to argue. Throughout the ’70s the album was seen as one of the gold standards in live rock & roll, and certainly it had a fury that no proper Who studio album achieved. Here, they sound vicious — as heavy as Led Zeppelin but twice as volatile as they careened through early classics with the confidence of a band that finally achieved acclaim but had yet to become preoccupied with making art. There is no better record of how this band was a volcano of violence on-stage, how they teetered on the edge of chaos but never blew apart. This was most true on the original LP, which was a trim six tracks, three of them covers (“Young Man Blues,†“Summertime Blues,†“Shakin’ All Overâ€) and three originals from the mid-’60s (“Substitute,†“My Generation,†“Magic Busâ€), none of them bearing a trace of its mod roots.

Live at Leeds has been expanded twice on CD, once for a single-disc 1995 release that contained the entirety of the Who’s non-Tommy performance plus “Amazing Journey/Sparks†and once for a 2001 Deluxe Edition that contained the entire concert from “Heaven and Hell†to “We’re Not Gonna Take It.†So, what was left for 2010’s Super Deluxe Edition? Apart from all the collector-bait accouterments — a book filled with memorabilia, a heavy-vinyl pressing of the original six-track LP, a replica of the “Summertime Bluesâ€/â€Heaven and Hell†7″ — there is the inclusion of the complete concert the Who gave at Hull one day after their performance at Leeds on February 14, 1970. The original plan for their ’70 live album was to cull highlights from the two gigs and release a single album but the Hull tapes had technical glitches — specifically, the bass did not record for the first four songs — leading to the focus on Leeds. This Super Deluxe Edition overcompensates for this omission by including the entirety of both nights — the lack of bass corrected by grafting on Entwistle’s Leeds performance on the Hull tapes — and they’re extraordinarily similar performances, retaining the same set list (the lone difference is Hull lacks “Magic Busâ€) and same sense of energy. Naturally, there are differences that will be notable to the fanatics who would pony up the cash for this lavish box, and inevitably some will claim that Hull is preferable to Leeds (as Roger Daltrey did when the reissue was released in November 2010), but ultimately deciding which night is better is a fool’s errand: both nights capture the Who at a peak and both nights are necessary for the hardcore. - by Stephen Thomas Erlewine

MP3@320CBR

Track List

CD 1: Leeds, Feb 14, 1970

01. Heaven and Hell

02. I Can’t Explain

03. Fortune Teller

04. Tattoo

05. Young Man Blues

06. Substitute

07. Happy Jack

08. I’m a Boy

09. A Quick One, While He’s Away