Jambands.ca

Happy Bonus Day!!!!

Velvet

Ah, Leap Day! A whole free extra bonus day! Hope you have a good one!

I'm surprised it's not a worldwide holiday. I generally take the day off work and do something fun, but with several days off coming I'm taking the responsible road and will be working today, but I'm still gonna try and have some fun.

Did you know that Leap Year isn't every four years? They skip it three out of every four turn-of-the-century years. So there was no Leap Year in the years 1700, 1800, and 1900, though there was one in 2000. 2100, 2200 and 2300 won't have one either, but there will be one in 2400.

hey ladies...today's the day!

Women propose to their men

According to an old Irish legend, or possibly history, St Bridget struck a deal with St Patrick to allow women to propose to men – and not just the other way around – every 4 years. This is believed to have been introduced to balance the traditional roles of men and women in a similar way to how Leap Day balances the calendar.

In some places, Leap Day has been known as “Bachelors’ Day†for the same reason. A man was expected to pay a penalty, such as a gown or money, if he refused a marriage proposal from a woman on Leap Day. In many European countries, especially in the upper classes of society, tradition dictates that any man who refuses a woman's proposal on February 29 has to buy her 12 pairs of gloves. The intention is that the woman can wear the gloves to hide the embarrassment of not having an engagement ring. During the middle ages there were laws governing this tradition.