Jambands.ca

Richie Havens: Jan 21, 1941-April 22, 2013

Basher

richie.jpg

The Roots Agency represented Richie Havens for many years and regrets to post of his passing on April 22, 2013.

RICHIE HAVENS was gifted with one of the most recognizable voices in popular music. His fiery, poignant, soulful singing style has remained unique and ageless since his historic appearance at Woodstock in 1969. For four decades, Havens used his music to convey passionate messages of brotherhood and personal freedom. Billboard Magazine writes, “This acoustic soul giant truly seems to be getting more inspiring and graceful with age.â€

From Woodstock to The Isle of Wight to Glastonbury to the Fillmore Auditorium to Royal Albert Hall to Carnegie Hall, Richie played the most legendary music festivals that ever were, and most of the world’s greatest concert venues. But even when performing in a Greenwich Village coffeehouse or a small club or regional theater, he was eternally grateful that people in any number turned up each time to hear him sing. More than anything, he feels incredibly blessed to have met so many of you along the way.

552337_10150619039301134_238065446133_9191894_802161290_n.jpg

http://www.therootsagency.com/artist-roster/richie-havens

This one is especially sad for me as I would cite his performance at the Pocono Musical Festival on the Mountain from 96'(I think) as being the best musical performance I have ever seen.

One of those nights where you are just never the same afterward you are so profoundly affected by what you have just seen. I've always been a fan of the pared back folk singer thing, this was just so H E A V Y his playing, his voice and his stories were so incredible. I'll never forget that night.

Seen him a couple times since then and he was consistently good but that night was magic.

Any of the first 6 or so releases that he put out are a really good listen if you want to check him out. Lots of covers but he surely made them his own.

I loved Richie, I loved seeing him perform, watchin his huge hands covering the frets as well a his thumb. He was a great story teller. I was lucky enough to see him 3 times.

Anyone remember the Comfort Zone show? That wa my first. I'll never forget the tory he told about Dylan and Watchtower.

I till have the tape. Karl taped stealth that night. He' got the DATs I've got the Maxell's. Caition Jam opened.

RIP.

Sad news.

I only saw him live twice.

1989 Molson Park, Barrie - Q107 psychedelic sunday. It was the 20th anniversary of woodstock (same weekend too I believe almost). Richie Havens, Melanie, John Sebastian, Country Joe, Buddy Miles, Sha na na, Iron Butterfly and a few others.

My only other show was the Comfort zone. My girlfriend at the time & I chilled pre-show with him and some other folks, and after the show we hung out on Queen for a bit. Glad I got to meet him.

Rediscovering a thought lost stub album recently, these were in it.

j8p4s7.jpglw27s.jpg

Rest in peace Richie.

Edited by Guest

This one is especially sad for me as I would cite his performance at the Pocono Musical Festival on the Mountain from 96'(I think) as being the best musical performance I have ever seen.

One of those nights where you are just never the same afterward you are so profoundly affected by what you have just seen. I've always been a fan of the pared back folk singer thing, this was just so H E A V Y his playing, his voice and his stories were so incredible. I'll never forget that night.

Seen him a couple times since then and he was consistently good but that night was magic.

Any of the first 6 or so releases that he put out are a really good listen if you want to check him out. Lots of covers but he surely made them his own.

I thought of you instantly when I read the news, very sad indeed. Rest in peace Richie.