Jambands.ca

Hey High-speeders (also RE. Ottawa offer)

Blane

Hey Guys,

I thought I'd let you in on a cool new way to waste hundreds of hours on your high-speed connections.

There's a new file-swap program (a-la Napster) available called Direct Connect, which has a whole section devoted to swapping .SHN files. The name of the group is SHNapster (catchy, eh?) So far there are between 60 and 90 people on at a time, so there's lots of stuff available to download.

If you don't know .SHN yet, it's like MP3 files without the crappy loss of quality. An unpacked .SHN file is exactly like a 44.1khz cd track. (see www.etree.org for more info)

At any rate, the point is, this new program allows people trading Phish, Dead, SCI, Jazz, etc. to exchange shows without using FTP or any of that stuff. VERY COOL.

I've been using it for about 2 weeks and have probably grabbed 10-15 shows. I just put it on before bed, and the show's on the 'ol hard drive in the AM.

At any rate, for those of you who might want the Ottawa '94 show (or anything else, for that matter) but don'T feel like doing a snail-mail b&p, I'm going to be sharing that show on Direct Connect. My user name is Unitmonster, so feel free to message me (there's an IM, or chat function) and ask me to open a slot for you to get onto my drive.

First you need the program to start this thing, and that can be found at: http://www.neo-modus.com/

Hope to see you out there!

BLane

Great Idea! I was looking over SHNapster a couple of weeks ago, but figured it would very useful for us as a group. It would make it easy to share shows. I'll get it tonight, and look for you. Email me your username.

Awesome....totally awesome.

- Jeff Spicoli

Hey, my username is UNITMONSTER.

I'm already up there, but the Ottawa show ain't. I'll get on that asap.

However, I DO currently have:

Bob Marley 4-17-80 (1 disc)

Les Claypool and his fucked-up frog brigade

9-2-00 (2 discs)

The New Deal 9-2-00 Ottawa (1 disc)

The New Deal 11-29-00 Vancouver (1 disc)

Oysterhead in New Orleans (2 discs)

Phish 11-2-94 Set2 (SBD!) (2 discs)

Phish ??-??-92 (1 disc) a funny living room band rehearsal.

ok, I've got the setup file on my harddrive.

Here's the problem. I use yahoo mail and can'T send a file bigger than 1.5meg and this is a 3meg file. WHAT TO DO? Anywhere I can upload it via FTP?

Oh wait, I'll just make it available on direct connect and you can grab it there! grin.gif" border="0grin.gif" border="0

But seriously, can your 'FILES' section on this site handle it? I could upload to there if I have a IP and login.

ftp into phishsanctuary.com

user: harry

pass: hood

That's actually an upload directory I set up, without anonymous access. So, send files there.

Once it's there, I'll install it, and then I'll direct connect to you and you can send me the direct connect file.

shocked.gif" border="0

I'm actually only supposed to have 100 megs. But, I don't think it's much of an issue. The admin at Ripnet has always been very leaniant (I have no idea how to spell that). However, I don't think a large set of shn's would fit. I'll look into to getting more server space (for free) for setting up trades. That'd work great.

K,

It's uploading right now. Should be done in a few minutes. Let me know if there were any problems.

Blane

ps. How much data does your FTP server hold? I could just upload the show rather than upload the program to download the show, if you know what I mean....

here it is:

1) Start up DC.

2) Click on Connect (upper left corner, blue icon)

3) In the box that says address, enter this:

shnapster.dyndns.org

4) in the future, it'll appear in the 'recent' folder under connect.

Let me know if you're still having problems. Otherwise, message me when you get on.

Blane

Archived